Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN BEFSX41 Vs. port Forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

techciscouser

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
After setting up my BEFSX41 router. Firmware versio 1.45.7
I have setup VPN at work.
My objective > Is to access work network from home.And to be able to access Unix Server which is behind the my router BEFSX41. My Unix Server has static IP of 192.168.1.119. And normally at work if somebody has to access this Unix Server...I have TinyTerm emulator software. Therefore after installing this TinyTerm emaulation software...I am saving my Unix server's static IP in the telnet connection box. Then to access this Sco Unix box ...I would open Tiny Term and use my login & password ( which has already been created in Unix server)
Finally I see my Unix Server thru Tiny Term.

I am getting confused ...To access work network from home and then to be able to access Unix server too...
How this VPN works ...I have downloded 3rd partySoftware which is again similar to Tiny Term emulator >PUTTY...what IP am I using...only the external IP or ???.
And when do I use(if at all...??) that 'PRE SHARED KEY' which I defined while setting up VPN...basically I am asking how can I access this VPN tunnel...or what do I need to do access??
Based on my scenario do I need a 3rd party VPN client & also the emulation program...or just the Putty client is enough.

DO I STILL to do PORT Forwarding in my Router. As I am thinking that from external IP how would I get to Unix server...do I need to forward my Unix server's IP on the router.
I have WAN connection type as PPPoE. Also Dynamic IP which keeps changing all the time. How can I get around with this problem?? Can I use DDNS tab in my router. Or just install DYNdns.org service on the computer which is directly connected to my router ...(I dont know if it creates any diffrence by setting up in the router or installing this service separately would help??)

Thanks...any advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks to everybody ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back