Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN authentication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunar

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2001
US
Here is my situation, I am trying to setup a gateway to gateway VPN using L2TP/IPSec with EAP/TLS certificate authentication using this guide, by Tom Shinder. I have followed the guide pretty much to the T. Everything seems to have been setup properly according to the guide. My servers are windows 2003 machines running ISA 2000. I setup a CA server on my DC and gave a machine certificate to the answering VPN server and gave a router certificate to the calling server. Both of which are part of my domain. I have created an account in my AD with the same name as the VPN adapter's name. But, I still can't seem to authenticate the connection properly. RAS logs this error on the answering server:

EventID: 20891
The user local_remote connected from ***.***.***.*** but failed an authentication attempt due to the following reason: Authentication was not successful because an unknown user name or incorrect password was used.

Yet in the security log it logs a success for the IKE security association and a logon by the local_remote user. Plus a Special privilages assigned to the user message.

I have read the few posts on this subject on the forum but the only suggestion that seem to come up was a possible DNS problem. I am using my internal DNS server which is running on my DC.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Shan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back