Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN and Remote Control to print local

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlkamy

Technical User
Nov 11, 2005
US
I have users who connect through a VPN and then Remote Control Access a machine to work from home. They want to be able to print to their local home printer files they are using. I have not yet found any setup for this configuration. Is this possible? What do I need to do?
Thanks for any input/advice! Teri

Instead of using Remote Desktop try using Terminal Services. There is an option to map local printers (depending upon the OS version you are using)

Teri,

Short version: You'll have to map a network printer back to the home machine's shared local printer.

Long version: When a user connects to the VPN from home they are basically on the work network. The home user would first have to "Share" their local printer with the network. The user would then need to connect to the remote machine, then connect to the "Shared" printer that exists on the home computer.

Make sense? What software are you using for the "Remote Control Access" (VNC, PC Anywhere)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back