Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN and NT 4.0 with dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger33

MIS
Dec 1, 2000
US
Ok, dumb question. Have DSL, pdc and bdc and firewall.
bought the VPN module for the firewall. Can create a tunnel to the firewall and see the login screen. That's all.

Want to have VPN setup to the network from remote workstations. I know I need PPTP on one of the servers. Can it be the bdc. Also, do I need to install RAS. I only have one NIC in each server. Do I need two?

Not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated

Which
Which Firewall?
What protocols does the VPN 'module' support?

I may misunderstand, but it seems to me that running (R)RAS or PPTP would be redundant to the firewall's VPN functionality.

Using Sonicwall firewall software version 5.1.1. I can do a tunnel and see the firewall logon screen. Can't seem to logon. Do I need to logon to get into the network. In other words, do I need to create users in Sonicwall for VPN connections?

First you need to open up port 1723 on the firewall and and point it to the IP of your RAS server(running pptp). You also have to have PPTP protocol enabled on the firewall. I dont know if this will help, but that is how I set it up. Then to connect your client will punch in the ip of the firewall, and the firewall will redirect you to your PPTP server. Make sure you are running NAT on your firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back