Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN and Multi Port Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

626F62

Technical User
Jul 18, 2006
GB
Hi

a college who works from home has been using a Cisco VPN for ages no problem. until she decided to keep braking the password token fobs.

we then put her on Watchgaurd MUVPN and although the VPN connects when trying to use RDP to a machine in the office it fails to work???

she brough her laptop in and it works from here. so i dont think its a setup on her laptop, or with the watchgaurd config...

at her home she is using a Router (cant remember the name) but i remember reading that it did Multi Port (and i dont konw what this is). Could this be the problem? from what i have read it sounds like it uses multiple connections to the internet to make it faster (or you can do more things at once)

I am thinking the VPN has connected but when she is trying to RDP its not going the VPN route, maybe?

where the Cisco VPN software would connect and you would lose the ability to surf the web where the Watchgarud software doesnt do that.

any help is appriciated.

A lot of times you will also get issues with packet fragmentation when trying to use VPNs over a NAT router. Lowering the MTU size on the client machine could help.

I think before anyone can say for sure they would need to know what kind of device she is using from home.

I would probably post this question in one of the networking hardware forums. You might get more help there.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back