Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN & Cable Modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drus

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have a cable modem (RCA) and try to use a VPN connection to a client's network, frequently getting disconnected. I am wondering if there are any known issues regarding this combo.

I have a cable modem and am able to connect without troubles. Have you checked your VPN server's properties, I believe there is a tab with a disconnect after idle timeout. Just a thought if you haven't already checked that... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Is there a way to avoid the blocking of VPN-ports by the cable operator? Is it possible to use another port? How did you get it working or doesn't your cable operator block the VPN ports?

My cable provider does not block port 1723 where VPN traffic is. You should be able to get a hold of one of their network engineers to open it up for you. Good luck getting a hold of the engineers tho.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

My cable provider does not block port 1723 where VPN traffic is. You should be able to get a hold of one of their network engineers to open it up for you. Good luck getting a hold of the engineers tho..
Double check your firewall settings, if you have one.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Thanks, I'll try to get them to turn it off, but they do it with a reason... Thay offer their own VPN solution ;=)

But isn't there a way to get the connection to work over another port. I've managed to get a webserver running by just using another port than 80...

But I didn't find a setting in the Win2000 VPN dialogs.

Filip hoeven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back