Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voodoo3 + Win2k = grid of dots on the screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knutsaq

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2001
CA
Ok guys here's another good one.

I've got a box here that was giving us some issues, so we recently swapped the motherboard and reformatted and installed Win2k.

After the Win2k SP1 install, there's a grid of black dots on the screen that come and go, and often disappear when you maximize and minimize a window. I've tried the default Win2K driver, 3dfx version 1.04 and the x3dfx Beta driver. All of them exhibit the same problem. If I load the system into safe mode, it doesn't have this problem. We've tried every resolution, color depth and refresh combination that we can think of. Oh, its running on a NEC XE21 monitor.

The weirdest part is that I have another IDENTICAL box beside it that ir running like a top. It has a 3dfx drive dated Jan, 2000 that I can't find a copy of.

Any thoughts?
Knutsaq.

I had the same problem, turned out to be a bad RAM stick. Swapped it out and it worked like a charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back