Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vonnage VoIP and Symantec Firewall 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmoe

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2004
US
I have a Vonnage Motorola VT100 VoIP connection.
I also have a Symantec Firewall 360.

If anyone has worked successfully with this or a similiar configuration, please let me know what you did.

When I first tried to make them work together, I put the firewall between the Motorola VoIP devide and the hub.
Symantec said I needed to be on a different network (change the third octet) for this to work.

It did work for outbound connections and direct requests to the internet.

However, it would not work for things like Remote Desktop, it wanted to connect from the outside world into my system.

I wonder, in retrospect if this was because the Motorola was still NAT enabled. It was at 192.168.102.# and the inside network was at 192.168.100.#
===========
I then moved the firewall between my cable modem and the Motorola device. In this setup, everything is on the same network. However, we could never get the Symantec Firewall to pass an IP address to the Motorola device.

I even had Symantec and Vonnage on a conference call with me, to try and work this out.

We tried both static and DHCP addressing, but in this configuration the Motorola/Vonnage device never got an IP address.
======================

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

You are talking about two different things here:

Remote Desktop - (VPN) and Vonage - (VoIP on the cheap)

What worked and what didn't work ?

The older I get, the less I know

Vonnage (not using VPN)...Just RDP and PCAnywhere.
With firewall inside the Vonnage, anything I did from here to the internet was fine. Any attempt to connect to here from the internet was blocked, even though ports were open.

With the firewall outside the Vonnage, the the Vonnage Device could not get an IP address from the firewall -- therefore, no phone line.

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

ok.

If the Vonnage could not get IP from firewall then there must be a way to address the Vonage device and set the IP.

Other thought- if the Symantec Firewall has a DMZ have you tried placing the Vonage device there ?

If the Symantec firewall has logs then also peek in the logs and you may need to turn on a TRACE function to capture ALL of what's going on.

The HUB thing should have worked but on the same subnets- that's where I do disagree. Also NAT enabled can bring up some dilemas too unless you have a NAT solution for your VoIP.

I'd put back the inside network: 192.168.100.#

Firewall between cablem modem and vonnage device:
I can address the Vonnage device...but here is the weird thing: The device is ALWAYS accessible at 192.168.102.1.

However, Vonnage says, when used with a router or firewall and a static IP do not use 1 as the last octet.

So, when I set it to 192.168.102.100 for example, it should be fine. However, the blinking light tells me it is not. Nor can I ping it at .1 or .100

We did try DMZ on the firewall, but not on the Vonnage device.

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

Can you change the Vonnage device to 192.168.102.10 for example ? Does this IP or the 192.168.102.100 fall into the allowable IPs of the firewall ?

Also try DMZ on Vonnage and here's something else:

AutoNegotiating and AutoSensing basically screw up the hardware- now it works, now it doesn't in a matter of minutes or a few hours. I've found this on SYMANTEC Firewall 200 and 100 VPN appliances with Motorola Cable Modems.

The Fix ? Use a cross-over cable and reboot everythin'!!!

Just another thought.

Yes, I can change the IP if the firewall is outside the vonage device.

I did try DMZ.

When I get a chance, I'll pick up or make up a cross over cable.

Thanks.

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

Now ya got me on the edge of my seat...been thinking about playing with numerous "Vonnage" type of boxes...

FYI the cross over thing did not work.

What was your thought about NOT changing the network if I put the firewall inside?

I will only have sporadic access to the internet from about 2pm today until November 15 -- so if I take awhile to reply be patient.

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back