Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vonage ATA 186's bandwidth hog onT-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

naturl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2003
US
My network (me) just installed 6 Cisco ATA 186's from Vonage. These are fed into analog CO lines of the phone system for LD trunks (33.6K backbone). These are all connected outside the firewall on a Cisco 1900 with the WAN. A full T is brought to its knees with just 4 off hook. Vonage says they're not supposed to do this, they only pull 90 Kbs each (it's someone elses problem). I have rotated their orders to rule out bad units in the front. The firmware has been updated. I have toyed with the quality settings on the Vonage web page (50K down to 30K). We're talking Megs here!

They all will regress my T from:
1.4 MG available for download,
Pick 1 line- 300Kb available.
Pick 1 more line- 150 Kb available
add another line- 75 Kb available for internet usage.
The VOIP users notice their calls degrade (realtime) as this goes on.

Our ISP's router (Telcove) has no VOIP statements giving prefs or QoS to voice packets nor have they heard of this yet. Cisco will not talk to me as it is a Vonage service.
Now do I say "HELP!!!!"

Hey, I'm interested in what you found out. I want to do something simular.

Thanks,
Richard

I've found Nothing, Nothing!" (read as Sgt. Shultz). One thing...Vonage is not using and Cisco stopped making the ATA.??. Vonage is offering to exchange mine for the Motorola units now used (with a credit card held over our head. The Motorola units are more like a router. I have contention with my boss. My test results come from doing download speed test as I take each one off hook giving the crawling results. His voice is a bandwidth meter at the gateway that doesn't even show this kind of result?!? So, I only know the real life effects-it crawls when 4 are in use. Otherwise, the cost effectivness is absolute and the voice quality is very acceptable. There are some dropped calls when the lines are all going-nothing we can't accept in this cellular world.

Why is there never a phone in the phone closet?

Do you have admin rights to the ATA's. What signeling are they using SIP, H.323,, what compretion G.711 G.723?? There's alot more then plug in VOIP equ and go. If G.711, then yes 64kb is what they will take up. You can see what they are hogs. But if using G.723 it goes down to 32kb and G.729 will use about 8kb or so.

No,no no no no; I amtalking about Megs not K's. 4 Vonage on at once will slow our T-1 burstable to 2 Megs, down to modem download speeds. Here's the wire flow, T-1 into a Cisco 1900, port 1 and the Vonage are right there 2,3,4,5 along with servers. 100 meg uplink to the 2900's and the rest of the users. With no QOS (so I am told) I can't see how they are doing this. Also, Telcove shows no bandwidth spikes to back-up my tests.

Why is there never a phone in the phone closet?

Sounds like you are getting some sort of routing or bridging loop caused by the phones. This would explain why your isp cannot see the bandwidth spikes. Are the phones in their own subnet? Are they getting ips from vonage? Do you route to them?

Your network guys should be able to see errors or excessive broadcasts that would cause this?

There is a solution...
If you log into your Vonage account you will be able to lower the bandwith, i've done this on several occasions with no noticable audio deterioration

You need a sniffer dude!!! Look the only way you are going to fix this is to sniff the packets and see what is going on. On an off chance, chck to see if you have a duplicate MAC address. Doesn't happen often, but you never know. Once again, get a sniffer.

It is what it is!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back