Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volumes not expiring 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2002
FR
Hello,

I have the browse and retention policy set to 3 months for all clients but strangely not all savesets expire after the 3 month period, resulting that some volumes will not change into recyclable. How can we fix this?

Thanks for your help.

Due to NetWorker's rules and your backups, this most likely
will not happen directly after that period.

Please note that there usually are "dependent save sets".
All save sets with another other level than full will only
become recoverable/recyclable when they do not need to rely
on the full they depend on. And this will be the case whenever
a new backup cycle (the period between two fulls) has started.

In other words:
If you have a policy defined to "n periods" the save set
will become obsolete after "n+1 periods" earliest.

Now you may start a full manually and check whether the
"save set expiration candidates" will change their status.

Hi,

Volumes will only recycle after all save sets have expired.

Is it possible that the volumes in question were used by groups with differing backup cycles?

If one group's cycle starts 01 JAN and runs until 01 APR, and another starts on 01 FEB and runs until 01 MAY, and both groups save to the same volumes, the volume wont expire until 02 MAY.

If the volume isn't full when the first groups cycle group and the next cycle begins, and the group writes to that volume, you will have to wait until the newest save set(s) from that cycle expire before the volume automatically expires.

I hope this helps.

-Joe

Angelshark,

Those are the textbook Legato answers to your question, but we have run into a problem at our site where EVERY saveset on a volume is recyclable but the volume is not. Legato does not have an answer for us yet on why this could be. We have noticed ourselves that in the volume tab under "expiration", if that doesnt have a date and is a "-", that quirk seems to be the only common attribute to our volumes not recycling automatically. Legato also told us the expiration date of that is just for show and doesnt do anything. I will post again if we get an answer.

Thanks for your feedback Michaelw70. Usually the volumes that show "-" under expiration are the empty ones. Our volumes do expire, but not immediately after the expiration date, it takes some time...

michaelw70,

this looks strange. Could you let us know the OS and NW version, please ?

I seen that! Run nsrim -X two times and that should clean things up.

We use nsrmm to delete savesets on clone volumes and find the "-", the script I use now always run's nsrim -X two times after the save set purge and I dont have the recyced volume problem any more.

Ed Skolnik

See if any of your savesets have a status of "abort". When a backup fails and aborts, the tape will have to manually recycled. We have this problem all of the time. It seems to have gotten a little better when we upgrade to Legato 6.1.3

That is also strange. If a save set has been aborted, it
should directly become recyclable. You can verify this by
running mminfo and have a look at the "sumflags" field. Look
at the right hand column:

b - browsable
r - recoverable
E - recyclable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back