Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volume Sharing and permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kineticnrgynx

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2003
US
I wanting to give people access to a shared volume that will contain a set of folders. However, I do not want the users to write in the base level of the volume. I only want them to be able to write in the folders that are contained within the volume. They should be able to list the volume contents and go into the folders within, but that's all they should be able to do at that level.

The problem I'm running into is this. When I set the share permissions for the volume to read only, and then the whole volume is "read only." Even if I block inheritance.

If I give the volume Full share rights and then with security settings deny write and allow list file contents/read. Then put my sub folders in place and deny inheritance and try to give full access to those... They are still able to write at the base level because of the share permissions.

Anyone have any ideas? I just want them to list the folders within the volume, and go into those folders and write in those folders only. I don't want them to be able to create new folders or files within the base level.

I think that the easiest way to apply permissions is to map it out on paper first. Applying permissions can be tricky. Try not to deny permissions unless it is absolutely necessary. It makes your job a lot harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back