Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

volume mutes itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthehunt

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
hello. if my computer sits for several minutes with no typing... volume checks mutes by itself and muted when i restart alot.

Also...how do i import my favorites from netscape to explorer. do i have to save each one individually all over again?

For the second question:

In Internet Explorer menu -> File -> Import and Export -> Choose Import Bookmarks, then locate your netscape bookmarks.html and finish the remaining procedure.

Your netscape bookmarks.html should be located in G:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\defaults\profile by default.

thank you Patrick.. i did a search and found the file and it worked perfectly... helps when you know that one step... thanks again:) do you have a answer on why my volume mutes itself if i am not typing anything for several minutes? or on restart? is there some setting that i have wrong?

Have you gone into the control panel and checked the settings on the sounds( The speaker icon). See if there is something in there doing it. I have see this if you play some of the games.
Microsoft pinball is bad about that.

i tryed updating my sound card drivers. but still same problem. Volume mutes itself:*(

I think people are starting to miss the point of what I believe onthehunt and my friend have. The soundcard does not uninstall, has no trouble finding drivers, it simply mutes itself (if you check the volume control, the mute is on), but no one has pressed anykeys or clicked any boxes. It just seems to happen when the system is idle for a while.
It's a Compaq Evo desktop with integrated soundmax card. Latest software for Win Updates, soundcard.

Any ideas now?

Cheers
Stu..

I hope we all were not missing the point on this question.
The only time I personally have seen the issue:

. There was a software package that auto-muted. FAX software can do this;

. The problem required updated sound drivers;

. The keyboard included volume controls. This is a case essentially of pilot error, that a keyboard sequence would inadvertantly trigger the auto-mute.

Issue #2 is perfectly appropriate, as sound drivers are notoriously misbehaved under Windows, and are frequently revised. My ESS sound board drivers on the machine I am now typing this note have been revised six times in the last two years.

I have had a similar problem for a long time, but my computer also does the opposite.

When I boot up the volume comes on at max and practically blows out my eardrums.

No matter how often I go to the controls and set them it never seems to apply the next time I boot up. Either it is set on mute or it is at full volume.

Nohj

Sorry if the last one sounded little off, didn't mean it to, it's just many were implying that the hardware was disabling itself, where it was just a case of muting.

Anyway found the fault and he's in for a slap. You were right it is an app, very obvious when you think about the issue, but not so, until you don't have all facts.
It turns out he installed a third party screen saver and guess what it does? Play music, but guess what he had done? Muted it. However it seemed to have an issue where it doesn'e unmute itself when the pc is resumed. We turned of the mute on the screen saver and guess what. It no longer mutes!
Helps when people mention these things I guess....

Thanks for the help

thirdd party screensaver? i do have a screen saver that i downloaded from lynyrd skynyrd website...doesn't play music though. how do i fimd area to see if it is muted or not?

StuReeves,

Nice detective work, and nice job. I can imagine how elusive an issue like this must have been.

OK OK i see the problem. i uninstalled my screen saver...now volume is fine...is there away i can have my screensaver and not have this muting problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back