Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

volume controls long gone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1andonly

Technical User
Dec 9, 2002
US
how can i replace my volume controls and get my sound back thank you for any relpies gt

I'm not sure how "disabled" your sound has become, but you can start by doing this:

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Multimedia > on the Audio tab, bue sure you've checked "Show volume control on taskbar."

Are you showing any device in the Playback field above?
Have you deleted your sound card?

I, too, am having a similar problem. After upgrading from Win95 to Win98 on a Compaq Presario system, I have no interactive volume controls available. I do have sound from the powered external attached PC speakers when I play a music CD, but otherwise, no sound from anything else. No Windows sounds from the internal PC speaker, either, when the external speakers are unplugged. The couple of music software composition packages I have loaded on the system (Band-In-A-Box, etc)will produce no soud, either. They start up OK and appear to be running, but no sound is produced. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ron

I had a compaq presario....and the HD was only 518MB so it couldnt take windows 98...

I assume ur machine is similar to that...if it is u shouldnt have upgraded in the first place, the PC cant take it.

For both of you guys: Get the latest drivers for your sound card. Go into Device manager and delete the sound card.
Reboot and let Windows find the devices again.

A few tips:
1. Unzip or extract the drivers you download before trying to use them.
3. Don't use the setup that comes with it, they load a lot of junk you don't need.
2. Make sure you get the version for your OS. 98\95 versus NT\2000\XP.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Thanks, Jontmke! I'll give that a try this evening. It's really on my wife's desktop PC. BTW, it has a 10 GB hard drive. The system isn't really that old. Got it just before Win98 came out. Anyway, thanks again. I'll give it a try.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back