Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volume control has no sound, errors either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

click

MIS
Jul 19, 2000
US
I discovered that some of our computers do not have a sound enabled on the volume control icon on the system tray. We used to control how strong the volume was by moving the lever up or down and then letting go, this would cause a "ding". It is not happenning anymore. Also, on the ones that it does not work, there is no sound when there is an error, like when you have a window open and then choose a setting that opens another window, and you try to click on the first window without closing the last one, it would cause a "ding" to let you know that the window was not available. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that is not checked or something, but we don't know what it is. I checked on Start>settings>control panel>sounds, and checked all of the available default sounds (ie asterisk, exit windows, exclamation, etc.) and they all work. I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Do you get ANY sounds (can you play a CD or anything like that)? Does the system have on-board sound or a sound card? Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

Yes, I forgot to mention mail notification , CD's, open windows, close windows, wav files, midis etc,all play ok.

Is your spearer icon on the palet X'ed out?

You might want to visit on Start>settings>control panel>MultiMedia and see if you discover anything different than on a computer that works.

No, the speaker Icon is alive and well, and it works to control the volume when something is playing, like a cd, All the computers that work have the same multimedia settings than the ones that don't. :(

Try going to the control panel and clicking on "Sounds". The sound scheme probably got changed.
Rob
Just my $.02.

Thanks Rob, but it does not work in ANY scheme. :(

click

On the problem machine.
. Hardware Info
Go to Start>Run, type hwinfo /ui
This shows the hidden user interface and shows problems in red text. courtesy of reghakr

Smitee

Also audio tab in sounds and multimedia has three drop down menus that must reference the proper card.

You said you tested the sounds. Did you click on C:\windows\media\ding.wav?

The sound icon (yellow/blue horn) is okay - a single click yields the volume control(not muted - if muted remove check in mute box), double click brings up the master control and they do not have muted boxes. The sound associated with the sound icon in the task bar is the "default" sound in the control panel - sounds applet. Ensure that the default sound in the sound applet is okay. Select the default sound and then press the black triangle to play the sound. Even if a sound is present it could be corrupted. If corrupted select a new one.

If the sound icon is not on the task bar then double click the multimedia applet in the control panel - ensure show volume control on task bar is selected.

Check on conflicts: right click - My Computer, properties, device manager and ensure that there are no conflicts with the sound card: sound, video and gamer controllers, and others (if you have).

CSDB1: Thank you, it is very well explained, but I have done all that, repeatedly, on several computers. I also have used the ding file from a good computer, and even did a file compare, no differences. I am almost convinced it must be some software that we have installed, I have to narrow it down by elimination. Thanks anyway. Click

I had this happen sometimes, and discovered that another device installed stepped on my sound drivers. Does the sound card still show without problems in Device Management in System Control Panel? JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back