Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voltage on PowerEdge 2800 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

My rep at Dell either can't or won't tell me if the power supplies on PE2800 are 120/240V. I plan on buying either 4 or 6 PE2800 in North America and having them shipped to Africa where the power is 240V. Dell doesn't like the idea that we ship the products there and prefer that we buy the servers from their Europeen office. It's probably a territorial thing but I don't have time to purchase the servers there, have them shipped to Africa, fly over there, configure them (and pray there isn't any defective components), build the network and spend a month there. Just downloading all the updates will take weeks (our Internet lines are 128k and the average download speeds are below 4k/s). I want to order them in North America, have them shipped to my HQ, configure, test and repack, then ship them myself to Africa. That way, I can be in and out of Africa in 2 weeks or so. I had another tech check the PE2800 that we just purchased and it doesn't have a switch in the back indicating it allows 120/240V. I'll have to check the labels and the manuals. Have any of you tried connecting a North American PE2800 to 240V ?

thanks
akwong

The answer to your question is located in the user's guide, which can be found at
AC power supply (per power supply)

Wattage: 930 W
Voltage: 85–264 VAC, autoranging, 47–63 Hz, 13.32 A
Heat dissipation: 2697 BTU/hr maximum
Maximum inrush current: Under typical line conditions and over the entire system ambient operating range, the inrush current may reach 25 A per power supply for 10 ms or less.

In other words, no problem.

Thanks jkupski. The server is located in another office and didn't get a chance to physically check the manual/stickers on the unit.

akwong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back