Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOMonkey

Programmer
Jun 18, 2003
GB
I have an IP403 and ADSL at the office.
At home i also have ADSL.
Can i connect over the internet with the manager application so I can programme my system remotley?
If i can do this then i can also use iphonemanager, provided i have a VCM installed?

I'm new to the data arena and am just playing around to see
what i can do.

You can connect to the 403 via the internet, but I'd reccommend having 2 small firewalls to set up a VPN between the 2 offices (since I handle IT services for medical groups, i'm big on security.) It also makes things a lot easier (i.e. you don't have to set up nat translations between your router at work and the 403. You don't need a VCM for phone manager. You do need a license for Phone manager Pro, but you have the functionality of phone manager lite without the license. Only when you're doing any kind of VoIP do you need a VCM (i.e. Voicemail, IP Soft/Hard Phones, Small Community Networking). If you need help selecting a firewall, let me know.

Yes you need a licence for IPPhonemanager, this is a Voip Softphone.
If you can see the IPO over the internet then you can use IPPhonemanager as if you were at home.
you can alo do almost anything else remotly that you would do on site execpt upgrade firmware or replace hardware.

Thanks but how do i connect accross the internet?
Do i need the IT manager to configure a router or
can i do it all?

You need a router or firewall that is VPN-capable. By using that, you do not have to open all of the ports of the IPO to the Internet. Your IT manager can make reccommendations with respect to what firewall you should use. We use the Watchguard Firebox and SOHO firewalls. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

One of my collegues has succesfully done this for our remote office over 600 miles away over the internet. read on.

Internet VPN and remote users for Avaya IP Office.
We have successfully deployed an IP Phone thru a VPN Connection. Site "A" has an ADSL connection with dynamic IP addressing. Site "B" has a Cable modem connection with dynamic IP addressing. The first thing to accomplish is to establish a VPN. Step one was to register a domain name for each site with a dynamic hosting company such as changeip.com (since the IP addresses are always changing with ADSL or Cable connections a dynamic DNS hosting company will always point your new the right IP address). Once you have registered site "A" and site "B" select a pair of VPN Firewall units. We used the Symantec VPN100 and it was a breeeze to setup. Site "A" we addressed as 192.168.1.1, site "B" was programmed as 192.168.2.1. We shipped the VPN 100 to the remote sit e"B" and had the VPN up within 30 minutes. An integral feature of the VPN100 from Symantec is a dynamic DNS feature to report an IP Address chage to your domain name dynamic hosting company.
Now that the VPN is up and running make sure you have at least a 5 VCM in your IP403. On the IP telephone destined for site "B", program the phone with a 192.168.2.XXX address, with a gateway of the VPN100 (192.168.2.1). Make sure the TPTP server is the site "A" PC running the manager application. Ship the phone to site "B" and have them plug into the VPN 100 and away you go. Test a ping to the phone's IP address to assure connectivity.

Board4aLiving [cannon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back