Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP THROUGH CISCO AORENET WIRELESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulentbuster1

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
TR
HI EVERBODY;

I HAVE A PROBLEM ABOUT VOIP AT CISCO AOERENT WIRELESS PRODUCTS.THE LINE SPEED SEEMS 1MB BUT I COULDNT MAKE MORE THAN 12 CALLS OVER THIS WIRELESS CONNECTION.I TRY ALL OF THE CODECS G729,G723,G711 BUT IT DOESNT MATTER.

I USE NORTEL MERIDIAN ITG TRUNK CARDS FOR THIS APPLICATION.

ANYBODY THAT CAN HELP ME...

Remember, wireless is half duplex. Meaning you only have 500Kb. At g.711 and 12 calls that's 768kb. You can see where this is going. But only 1MB. Witch aironet? 340, 350.. All of these have settings for alowing faster speed's up to 11Mb as long as its 802.11b. And depending on how far you are from the AP..

Cisco says you cannot make more than 10 - 12 calls per access point.

From cisco.

How many Cisco 7920s can co-exist per access point?

A. It is recommended that no more than seven concurrent G.711 calls, or eight concurrent G.729 calls, be active on an access point. The number of inactive Cisco 7920s that are registered with an access point is recommended to not exceed 15 to 20. This is in line with the recommended number of wireless endpoints (clients) supporting only data traffic.

Read more here.

First off stop yelling.
Second off how are you using the wireless products. We have many 7920s in a completely Cisco wireless environment. 1 MB isn't going to cut it. Altough the link may say 1 MB (by the way how are you determining this?), but there is tons of overhead. It sounds more like you have a wireless bridge than using 7920s. if you are only getting 1MB through your bridge then 1) your antennas are too far apart or 2) it was designed incorrectly and needs somme real work.

10 call x 32KB =320KB

500KB (effective one way bandwidth on a 1MB line)
-320KB (bandwidth of calls)
------
180KB

Doesn't leave much for your other traffic.

Assuminng you are using wireless bridges (and even if you aren't) you must setup QoS on the wireless side. This is a serious design flaw in your VoIP network if you are using a wireless bridge. What is your integrator saying about this?

It is what it is!!

i also read that you need approx. 200 packets per call 100 in each direction in order to have carrier grade voice calls over wireless. also being that the AP 1200s only support roughly 1200 packets per sec that translates into 6 calls per ap simultaneously. thats assuming you have qos setup to allow the phones top priority and that no data can compete. if you are getting 12 then you are doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back