Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP T-1 Bandwidth Hogs-Vonage/Cisco ATA186

Status
Not open for further replies.

naturl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2003
US
My network (had me) installed 6 Cisco ATA 186's from Vonage. These are fed into analog CO lines of the phone system for LD trunks (33.6K phone backplane). These are all connected outside the firewall on a Cisco 1900 with the WAN. A full T is brought to its knees with just 4 lines off hook. Vonage says they're not supposed to do this (no mentions of CallManager), they're only to pull 90 Kbs each! So, it's someone elses problem. I have rotated their orders to rule out bad units in the front. The firmware has been updated. I have toyed with the quality settings on the Vonage server (90-50K down to 30K) with no effect only to degrade voice- But we're talking a meg here!

They all will use the T starting from:
No Voip's- 1.4 MG available for download,
Pick 1 line- 300Kb available.
Pick 1 more line- 150 Kb available
Pick another line- 75 Kb available for internet usage.
The VOIP users notice their calls degrade (realtime) as this goes on.

Our ISP's (Telcove) router has no VOIP statements giving prefs or QoS to voice packets nor have they heard of this yet. Cisco will not talk to me as it is a Vonage service.
Now do I say "HELP!!!!" I keep trying different forums hoping to get a response. Any better place to post? Vonage has stopped replying to me. They've also stopped using the Cisco products too!

Why is there never a phone in the phone closet?

I have some experience with the ATA 186, and they are a pain! I have Cisco 3.3.3 and have been using CCM since early 2001 with CCM 3.0(9).

Now to your issue, I have heard of VONAGE, but I do not know anything about them. The description of your network is a little confusing. Could you give me a better understanding of your Topology?

Mspivey
CCNP

Thanks for reading. No CCM here. Picture this. T-1 Wan into Cicso 1900 switch (10 Mb) port 1, the next ports are populated with the ATA's, thats all. That 1900's 100 Mb port then feeds up to the rest of the switches for WAN access. The boss wanted the VOIP to have unbroken (streaming) access to the cloud.
Vonage offers a LD service from the NET. You route calls through their servers to land lines. Their servers offer bandwidth shaping (30-90 Kb). However, at that point it's too late. The hogs are using major BW out the door. I wonder if the 1900 allows BW shaping at the ports?
Bob

You are calling it a T1 which makes me think 1.5 mb from the Telco, but since you have it pluged into an ethernet port that can't be.

So where is the router?

That is where your bandwidth shaping and QOS takes place, not on the switch.

Mspivey
CCNP

"Our ISP's (Telcove) router has no VOIP statements giving prefs or QoS to voice packets nor have they heard of this yet. Cisco will not talk to me as it is a Vonage service."

Yes, of course, the router is in front of it all. Available 1.544 burstable to 2.0. I have seen the ATA's take 1.9 in the early AM down to 300k in a heartbeat!

OK, I missed the ISP part. I told you I know very little of the VONAGE product.

So now I understand.

ISP > ISP Router> ISP demark> (ethernet@1.544mb)> port 1 on your 1900>

1900> port 2 through 7 > ATA devices.

I suspect you are already on the right track, better start looking for another ISP. Did VONAGE not disclose up front that the ISP needed to support QOS?

Mspivey
CCNP

Hi thanks again for wondering.
I have communicated this with Telcove parallelaly with Vonage. Their "network guys" have "been in touch with theirs". They are concerned as Vonage is a customer of theirs too. No response only that they (Telcove) knows of no route statements for thier (CAC) equipment to be of help. Means they don't know.
Bob

Good luck!!!!!

Sorry I could not help!

Mspivey
CCNP

Have you asked vonage to swap out the Cisco ATA's for the Motorola Boxes? We are having no problem with those. We have deployed them to multiple sites over our wireless backbone and port them out to the net from our office. no bandwidth hogs or such....

good luck.

(if you cancel the vonage and then place anew order, will you get the new boxes?)

Thank for posting
If it wasn't for the blithering hold music I woulds be on the phone for days. As it is, I have sent E-mails with that very request. No responses at all and it's been days. Did you have Cisco before that they indeed did swap out for you?
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back