Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2010
US
Can anyone suggest a VOIP system that someone like me who has worked on MICS and Partner for many years would feel comfortable selling a customer and that would be good for me to train myself on starting with a small system.

I ahve a client who wants VOIP and I would like to see if Nortel or Avaya has something for them.

Can the MICS or BCM provide VOIP for the customer?

BTW. Pardon my ignorance but why would a client lets say small or medium need or want VOIP instead of traditional telephone service. What are the advantages and disadvantages you have seen and experienced.

BCM offers voip although I am not trained on it. From what I understand voip allows free long distance over the internet as well as treating several building as one phone system. I am sure there are other benefits as well but I don't think it's something you can train yourself on, especialy the BCM.

I'm with aragon, I now sell the Allworx product and since Nortel won't be around much longer, for me, its the latest thing since sliced bread.

Since ESI is snubbing me for not being a big enough company, I'm looking into Allworx, too.

What's your service area, ptstechnician? I don't want to poach on your customers.

The Allworx is good, you may still dable in the BCM, not to complicated once you realize it works like the MICS

Does Allworworx provide Hotel/Motel hospitality services that will support analog sets with MWI?

If this is a small local company uses little or no LD then are there any real advantages over a traditional small analog system like the CICS or MICS or Partner?

One great advantage to VOIP over Real phone service is that you get more work. Your client gets to pay you more because having more problems generates more service calls. Plus the VOIP stuff is not reliable to 99.9999% like real phone stuff is!

So if your client likes that sort of thing, sell them a VOIP system/service! Otherwise, I would stick with the tried and true systems/service.

....JIM....

i agree with Syquest
we had Median1 and switched to Cisco VOIP
yes, i am much busier now than before
every day, new problem,
VOIP has advanatge over tradional phones (free calls between sites, less cabling (same network cable is used fro PC and Phone)etc) but it is not as reliable as Merdian1 beside voice prompt on a Cisco Unity does not sound too great (lots of noise it does not matter which wav format you are using)

We have stared selling allworx in pales of nortel I like there system but it dose have call routing drawback it dose not have a hotel motel pack by allworx. Call accounting should not be a problem and if you find a good sip provider tole restitution is not a problem with the large amount of LD that they provide check with allwork for a list of approved sip provider as not all providers will let you use and allworx system with there service.

We are also selling aastra for very small system the aastra link pro 160 is a striped down system but it seem to work well

We are also using adtran gateway with nortel

Rik - I will service the whole state of Michigan if theres work. My current service area is West Michigan. Have you looked into Allworx yet?

Actually, I just clicked the link.

We do cabling just about anywhere in the state, but I try to keep within an hour of Jackson for phone systems.

If you can get me contact info, I'll forward you any leads I get from GR/Kzoo area.

rrodgers at modempool.com

Problem with tried and true TDM is eventually you will go broke like the Maytag repair man. If you don't want to migrate your customers to VoIP then someone else will. So better to learn now than ask the government for assistance in re-training later.

For those who think VoIP is only about dial tone over broadband I suggest doing a lot more research. The industry has already moved past VoIP and re-branded the technology to Unified Communications to get past that stigma.

David Brillert:
NNCAS NNCSS NNCDS 3Com CNTS
Product Manager

Serge9 - Your problem is you went with CISCO...My wife works at a company that has CISCO, but...wait for it...They have 80 IT People, so they don't have issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back