Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP SOLUTION !

Status
Not open for further replies.

krsnavan

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2008
AE
I f any body Has implemented any VOIP solution, I need to have the complete Documentation of the Solution. I like to know the Scenarios and what factors need to be considered such as QOS,traffic engineering,Bandwidth selection process,Call Manager selection etc.

Any body can help to get documentation apart frm CISCO site.
As i need to learn the practical situations.

thanx.

Let me know a little more of what you are trying to build.

I have been the guy behind our VoIP solution for a smaller mortgage company (~200 employees) spread among 3 states with only one real office, but tons of home offices.

I may or may not be of use.

Can I suggest Amazon and buy some books?
As you've given no guidence on what you are looking for your question is way to vague. Are we talking 1 user or 25,000? Do you have a small budget or that of a carrier?
Do you want Cisco only (you mention Call manager) or lots of vendors. SIP, H323, MGCP?

If you just want to learn, then there of hundered of VoIP books and training courses out there.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

krsnavan,

I understand that learning about this to make a recommendation can be challenging. Easiest way to do this, guaranteed, is to talk to the local sales teams for some major vendors - have them 'educate' you on the different solutions, protocols in use and roadmap. Just don't make any commitments until you are sure. Works every time!

(and you get free lunches, too)

VoIP is actually incredibly simple.
It uses no significant bandwidth, however, it is extremely sensitive to packet loss.
In other words, you'll be treating it the opposite to your current network traffic which is largely resilient to packet loss and has significant bandwidth needs.
This is why you need QoS and (highly-reliable) low-latency WAN links (eg, you might switch to an MPLS WAN network).
Within each building, you need
- Layer 3 - inter-VLAN routing, QoS
- Layer 2 - VLAN trunking, QoS
- Layer 1 - Power over Ethernet.

Your network will need to be highly resilient (UPSs, RPSs) with plenty of redundancy built it (etherchanneling, etc...).

Layer 1 - Power over Ethernet.

Not essential and expensive
We use PoE on only about 10% of our VoIP sites. the rest in provided by mains power.

I'd put a higher requirement on fault tolerance rather than PoE.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

So you use external power supplies to power up your IP phones? How is that cheaper than POE unless you are talking less than 10 phones total?

external power supplies are expensive, inefficient, unreliable, require additional power points which aren't backed-up on a UPS, create more cable tangle and management overhead and fire risks, and are generally a horrible and unprofessional suggestion.

I agree with Vince. If you can't afford POE for your VOIP deployment you are better off staying with your TDM product until you can afford it.
POE is not expensive these days, especially if you conider it can be used for powering wireless Access points, card access door entries, etc. It actually saves money in labor, addtl power run by electricians and constantly troubleshooting your IP phones because the power supply is getting bumped making the phone reboot.
Not mention the point Vince already made it is not any cheaper to do PS and it becomes an eye sore.

Depends, the phones we use (Aastra 9133is) are supplied with power.
Our sites are UPS'd, so that is not an issue for us (what's the point of having phones if every pc in the building is dead) and the power is done in professional manner. So don't make presumptions. I'd say having building without backup is amateurish, but most people can't afford this.
We currently have 2000 IP phones with a failure rate of about 4 in 2 years.
Next up it depends if you are flood wiring a site. Having to allow PoE to a site where possble 25% of ports may not be in use, is more expensive than using standard switches, so it IS more expensive in this scenario.
With Cisco P0E, we found that it caused more problems as the earlier kit didn't have enough power to run a call centre. So we employed PowDsine inline power, at £700 / 48 ports
I've mealy stated that PoE is not essential and can be more expensive. As you see I stated that money should be spent on fault tolerance, rather than PoE.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back