Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ses123

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2003
US
I have configured VoIP on a cisco router. When I do a "sh voice call summ" one of the VTSP state for one port is showing "s_LFAX_WAIT_ACK". I have disabled fax relay on that dial-peer. Why is the port looking for a Fax codec for the probable fax number. How do I disable the cisco from calling fax numbers, i.e., is the router detects that the number is a fax number, it should disable the call immediately. Please suggest. Thanks

Disabling fax relay just prevents the router from re-coding the fax signal into fax messages and back. This means, that the fax signal is sent as voice packets and therefore is impacted by jitter on the VoIP transport.

I don't know of any way to automatically disconnect the call, when a fax signal is received. This is, what the service type field in an ISDN call setup packet was meant for. Unfortunately, most fax machines are still analog and have no way to set this field.

I think it wouldn't be a big deal to implement a "disconnect call on fax signal received" feature in IOS. You could submit this as a feature request to Cisco.

Cheers *Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back