Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[VOIP QUESTION??] [/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shug1

Technical User
Mar 8, 2006
US
Ihave a 7960 cisco phone plugged into my data jack then my laptop runs off of the phone. My problem is when I try to connect a small hub into the jack? When I use a small hub I cant get the pone to work, the expansion module just lights up red and flashes and thats it, any idea? It is a 4 port linksys hub.

first and foremost... throw the hub away! go back to best buy and buy a 4 port switch.... then you will need to add a power cube CP-PWR-CUBE-3= to the phone to supply power since the 4 port switch will not.

The best method for this maddness would be to take the phone, plug it into the data port, plug the switch into the pc port on the phone, plug your laptop into the switch.

hope that helps!

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications
CCNA, Net+
Working on MCSA, Convergence+, CCVP

oh... forgot, if you do the latter of the two (plugging switch into pc port of phone) you do not need the power cube.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications
CCNA, Net+
Working on MCSA, Convergence+, CCVP

oh... forgot, if you do the latter of the two (plugging switch into pc port of phone) you do not need the power cube.

However you can forget any support from Cisco if you do that.....

The PC port on IP Phones is to support a single device - i.e. a PC. The switch in the IP Phone is a very simple device and is not designed to have anything other than a single PC attached to it.

Andy

Why would you want to introduce latency into your network with the hub?

Why would you want to insert a hub in a network you spent thousands of dollars for separating voice and data....

This is exactly the dumb mistakes people make that cause headaches for technicians...

[americanflag] Spc NVARNG
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back