Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP phones over multiple IP sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnyt68

Technical User
Mar 22, 2023
CA
thread1361-1124701
I have tried to connect Nortel Network phones over IP between sites. The issue is they need to communicate with the main Nortel system and then directly to the other VOIP phone. I could do this when setting up a VPN between the site and the main office. This works between the office and the site, but not site to site. If I called a phone, it would ring, then it would be quiet on both when trying to speak. TO build a bridge around this barrier I had to setup a VPN directly from site to each site. This allowed the phone to find the network path to each site so the phone would ring, which is due to each phone connected to the main system at the office. But then the voice communication now had a path directly from phone to phone. Once I setup a VPN between sites I could communicate over the phone with each site. IF there were two or more phones at a site, one VPN to that site was fine, as long as they were on the same IP network.

I hope that helps, I could not find an answer anywhere about the Nortel phones that worked. This solution is good for a small number of sites.

The issue in "no audio"

If no VPN then forward the appropriate UDP ports on the Firewall to the BCM.

TCP
443 Callpilot Browser
5989 Business Element Manager
60001 BCM Monitor

UDP
7000 - 7002 IP Set registration, Signaling
28000 - 20255 Voice Path for IP Trunks
51000 - 51063 Voice Path for IP Sets

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN