Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP Over Public Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortKnox

Technical User
May 10, 2004
US

Can someone throw me a bone here.

I want to use a phone on lan at a remote location without vpn, which I have done already.

I have natted a public ip to my phone switch, forwarding tcp port 1720 and udp port 1720.

The phone seems like it almost registers but then gets a NAPT error.

Suggestions?

It appears from watching my logs, that when the Definity is trying to reply back, that it is trying to reply back to the private ip of the extension and not the public ip.

You need a firewall that can rewrite the h.323 imbedded information...

What kind of firewalls are you using?

I have a WatchGuard X700. Never heard of that feature. What firewalls can do that? Would SIP capability fix this?

SIP should fix that yes, it has built in NAT awareness..

I'm sure the watchguards could do this feature.. I konw cisco pix and checkpoint can...

BuckWeet

What is the feature called?

Like can you give me an example of how you would do it on either the pix or the Checkpoint?

For a SIP server you could use Asterix@home

i'm not sure on the checkpoint..

but in the PIX, its called a 'fixup'

BuckWeet, what model PIX? I have a older 501 and it doesn't have the fixup.

Mole44, Not to get off subject but have successfully integrated a Asterik SIP server into a Avaya PBX? I am about to pay for a costly upgrade because I didn't think it was possible (Asterik SIP and Avaya)

In the future everything will work...

Im familar with Asterik and the integration, but I need a SIP server to act as the IM client and presence tracking like Avaya's Converged Communication Server.

In the future everything will work...

In the ip-network-region-form there are some fields that you can change when you use NAT. Also note that your NAT should be "h.323 aware" otherwise this configuration will not work...

Petran.

Can you explain what each of the NAT fields mean and/or tell me what I should set it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back