Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP learning material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zepharoo

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2004
US
I am currently working for a large MSO as a Network engineer. We plan to launch VoIP at the beginning of 2006 and, needless to say, I am very interested in this technology and the upcoming job position. However, they may not hire anyone and just throw all the work on me. Any words of wisdom you can bestow upon me would be greatly appreciated as to what to expect.....
I have no VoIP experience, but I am a well-seasoned Network Engineer with a very high aptitude for learning. Can you recommend any books that I should read? Also, any miscellaneous advice would be greatly appreciated....

-Zepharoo

I don't know much about VoIP but I'd bet learning about the particular phone system being purchased would be as helpful as knowing about VoIP.

There's also a VoIP forum here, forum462, that may be of more help.

We have been using a VoIP phone system for better than a year now. This is a very deep technology. Defining what level you will have responsibility for would be a good start. We had to get up to speed real quick when QOS became an issue. Lots of trouble shooting. So... I found Cisco Packetized Voice and Date Integration -Mcgraw Hill useful as well as some books on Frame Relay (one of the segments used this) and then of course LOTS of Cisco ACL and config experience for trouble shooting. Also, good support from the actual product vendor. The T1 carriers have been less than helpful, come to think of it, our vendor has too...

best of luck

scottie

I'm doing the same thing, but our VoIP goes live in a couple of months! :) (New job and all!)

Amazon emailed me about a hour ago saying that the book "Delivering Voice Over IP Networks" by Daniel Minoli has been dispatched.

I'll let you know if it's any good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back