Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP Issue, problem occurs only 1 way. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamFam

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2006
CA
I have 3 BCMs networked for VoIP over a VPN. 2 are in Canada, 1 is in Asia.

I can call Asia to either of the BCMs in Canada, no trouble, great quality, everything is perfect.

When either one of the Canadian BCMs tries to call Asia, the extension in Asia rings, and shows the proper location and extension display of the person calling, but as soon as you pick it up.. it's dead. Other times when you try to call Asia from Canada, you just get a fast busy.

Normally I would be looking for a network issue here, except for the fact that calls from Asia to Canada are crystal clear and perfect. If the network was the issue, you'd think the problem would occur both ways.

Where should I be looking? It looks like the 3 BCMs are programmed almost identically, yet I must be missing SOMETHING.

Very strange. I have checked and re-checked everything, but to no avail.

Gateway is correct, dest codes and routes are correct. On the firewall on both sides, I checked and there are NO filters on the tunnel (all traffic allowed through) so it's not a firewall issue (which I figured because the calls get through one way, and the get through the other, only no voice).

Watching BCM monitor, I see the call initiate on both BCMs (have BCM monitor running on both)

Under RTP Sessions, I see the call, at 46.9kbps.

Under "Line Monitor" I see the VOIP line on the call.

But it's dead. I can't hear anything said from either side. The connection is there, but no voice gets through.

Any Ideas at all? This is happening if I come from EITHER BCMs in Canada, so it HAS to be something to do with the BCM in Asia, I just CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!! It's driving me NUTS.

All fixed.

Turned out that the Cisco PXE at the Canada side was using it's "fixup" command on the traffic coming OUT of Canada. The slight alteration it makes to the stream was not being recognized by the Asia BCM. I turned it off and bammo - all works perfectly.

I figured it had to be something outside the BCM setup, as I've set up a few before and I was SURE that it was all programmed correctly.

Thanks for the update. It's always good when someone adds the solution.

second that

thanks for posting the solution too dam fam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back