Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VoIP communications question

Status
Not open for further replies.

crstphonedude

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
US
We are a shop heavily fortified with Cisco routers across our LAN. Corporate HQ contains approx. 500 employees with remote hubs containing anywhere from 6-100 employees. Would Cisco's version of Unified Messaging be the route to go or is there another vendor that is more adapt at this task than others?
Currently we are running Siemens 9751 mod 50 at HQ and HiPath 3xxx series at the major branches, with Nortel Nstars at the small hubs.

Try this thread if no joy here:

forum462

However, you may not find much love for Cisco gear, many belive they are still a way behind the likes of Avaya in the telecoms arena.
Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Check with your Siemens rep and ask them about the Expressions unified messaging platform. That will give you voicemail, fax to mailbox, and voicemail to E-mail capabilities. Depending on how your voice network is laid out, it could be installed on your mod 50 or at one of your HiPath sites and shared across your voice network. One nice thing about Expressions is that it can both be used on current PBX technology and also on IP technology if you end up upgrading later to IP via a HiPath 4xxx or something. Another nice thing is that it can be expanded per-seat and you can buy what you need, rather than be stuck buying a package that has way more capacity than you need.

Do not even consider going VoiP with siemens, it is an absolute nightmare. have just been working with a london council who have deployed 4000 voip users and the phones/system restarts at least 10 times a day.

Bite the bullet and pay the extra for avaya you'll come out a winner in the long run.

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

Hows this for a nightmare i work at a site that has Nortel PBX Cisco VoIP phones with Octel as a voice mail service!

Mike, do you use gaffer tape and a hammer a lot? I can't see how else you get those "comaptible" systems to work...

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Stu its brutal! The only saving grace is that the Octel 350 is dying and it is hard to find replacement cards and if we do find them they are very expensive.

Hopefully we will go to something that I am familar with CallPilot but I dont know of anyone who has done a migration from Octel to CP.

I pray alot!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back