Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voip but need to dial into systems/Raz Server - need to hear dial tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregL123

Vendor
Feb 16, 2007
CA
Hello,

I have an issue. That is...

1 - I am thinking about going VOIP for my home phone. Possibly Majic Jack. The reason is, is because it will save me approx $700 per year as apposed to my regular POTS line.

The only problem is... with my work. I am a telecom tech and am required to be "on call" and part of being "on call" is being able to dial into systems (ie - M1's and CS1000's) via my laptop modem to troubleshoot before going to site. The only problem is, I don't know if that is possible with the Majic Jack. I did try the "Talkit" product (same idea as Majic Jack) but tried to dial into systems and could not and was told it is not supported. So, I need to know if there is something (or product ie an ATA?) that I can use that will enable me to do this. If I cannot, then I can't go VOIP.

2 - The other thing is, I let our IT dept know I was switching and the issue of dialing into systems as part of my job. (They do not know I haven't switched yet). They came up with and implemented a solution. It is as RAS Server located in our office and we log into it via "logmein" and it has procomm on it. It works great. The only problem is... when dialing, you are not able to hear "dial tone" or the modem dialing (which is very very usefull and what us techs are used to. Obviously because the server does not reside with me and therefore cannot hear it. Is there a spot in setting up the Ras server where you can tell it to simulate or send the dial tone to the pc that is connected to it? ie - my pc? so I can here it dialing etc. This might be an unreasonable request?

Any info would be great.

Thank you.

get logmein (or Teamviewer or any other RDP on steroids setup) to a desktop at work with a modem attached because the VoIP will only work decent if you have g711 or better as a protocol and that is not with any of the cheap providers, if you want that quality you will pay just as much as you pay with your analog line.
Btw I pay $22 for my analog line a month, there are cheap resellers out there that will resell analog lines of the big providers for cheap and if you don't want caller ID and call waiting and any gimmick on it it is cheap.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS

I already have logmein. Thats what we use when we log into the RAS Server. The modem is on the RAS server. It works great, but, I can't hear the dial tone, or busy tone, or reorder tone on the modem as it is on the RAS server and not my laptop. I need to hear what is going on with the modem when using it.

Thanks

Greg.

You might try out an ATA adapter made by Mediatrix using SIP connections. They are suppose to be "carrier class". You "may" have better results. Check out nocontractvoip.com . Otherwise the only thing that works is a REAL phone line... What kind of broadband connection are you using?

....JIM....

Logmein is a great tool and I use it all the time, but the free version has at least 2 limitations I'm aware of: It will not pass sound across the connection and it will not allow you to copy and paste files across the connection (which is a hassle for me).

If your company can set up a VPN connection for you so that you can connect to the company's network securely through your laptop then you can use Remote Desktop (or RD Tabs, which I like better because it's easier to get at the console session) to make your connection to that PC at work and then you will get the sound and you will also be able to move files back and forth across the connection if necessary.

I have a system that delivers various voice messages that I record on my office PC, but I have to place them on the actual system where they are going to be used to import them in, so I use the copy/paste function all the time.

Or, of course, you can upgrade to the paid version - Logmein Pro, but I found it to be quite expensive to pay for out of my own pocket, which is what it would be in my case....

I have used rdp - Microsoft remote desktop - with sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back