Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VoIP between 3 sides, what hardware? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

irdeto

MIS
Jan 7, 2004
NL
I want to connect 3 meridians with each other;

2 Meridian 11C ( Release 3 )
1 Meridian 61C ( Release 3 )

The sides are connected with 2Mb-DSL lines.
What hardware do I need to connect the 3 sides?
I want to be able to manage all 3 sites.

Are you wanting to send calls over them (VoIP), or just manage them on one ELAN? -Matt

Matt H.
TMC - KCMO, USA

I want to make calls to them and break out if possible.
And also manage them.

are the 3 sites on the same wan today?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

yes,
someone told me I only need 3 ITG trunk cards???

itg's will give you voip for trunks, not ip phones. i would price turning the opt 11's into ip remotes, same effect, but only one database and zero steering codes...the option 11's will program just like any other ipe

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

1 Signaling Server in your main site (Give you virtual trunk for Networking and TPS for IP phones)
1 Succession media card in each site for DSP channel processing (IP to PCM Gateway).

Javier

thats a perfect list if your going ip phones

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Right Jhon,
Also you can networking all sites with virtual trunks trough the signaling server.
Registering all sites with the gatekeeper and building dial plan there.

Javier.

Thnx, but I would still like to use the old 2616/3820 phones, I still have about 80 off those in stock.
Otherwise, I need to upgrade all the phones in the brench offices to IP phones???

no you can have a mix and if you just want ip trunks you just need the ip trunk cards, and the keycodes

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The 3 three ITG cards are all the hardware you need to connect your systems (assuming the Meridians share the same WAN).

Another couple of issues:

Call Quality

The ITG can use a number of codecs to convert the voice to data packets. If you go for top quality speech, using codec G711, the voice quality will be similar to that of a normal switched Meridian call. This will use 100k of the link per call. If you choose a codec like G729, it will only use 32k, but the call quality will be closer to that of a GSM mobile. It's a trade off. It may be an issue if you put a lot of voice calls on the WAN, or you need to move a lot of data regularly. You may need a faster DSL connection.

Quality of service

VOIP call packets on a LAN need to have priority over data, otherwise parts of the conversation could be lost. The easiest way to do this is using Baystack Business Policy Swiches. A BPS needs to be connected to the Meridian voice LAN (T-LAN), the Meridian control LAN (E-LAN) the Data LAN and the DSL link at each site. The BPS is configured to set the priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back