Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VoicePro 412 RS232 interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

surt

Programmer
Aug 14, 2002
US
I have a voicepro 412 by voice logic. It has a rs232 port on it. (Or so it claims. :)

I haven't been able to get a peep out of it. I have tried various baud/stopbit/parity settings to no avail. Anyone have any experience with it? The port looks like a 4p4c connector type (like a phone cord to the handset).

Anyone? :)

Thanks in advance!

I would also like some information on the rs232 port (VP206) Someone must know how to connect to it... Spill It!!

Thanks!!

You may email vp206@saigoncomputers.com and see if he can provide some insight. Have not talked to him in a long time but he knows everything about the VP units.

TD

The rs232 port is for manufactuing and programming and has no use to the end user at this time.

It may be used in the futue to do voice prompt downloads with the new 5.02 software.

The ONLY way anyone will find out what the rs232 is for, will be by trial and error.....
The importer of the voice logic units might have the information but will not share any of it....
The example is the fax resistor fix for the vp206...There is 1 resistor with an incorrect value in most of the vp206's. Several distibutors have a spec sheet with the values and locations to correct the issue, but will not make the information public, as they can sell corrected units for 40% more....
Dom

domin8u2,

You are wrong, Their are multipal risistors and the value changes by which version unit you may have.

This information is restricted by the new importer and protected by copywright laws. If this information or any propriatary information is released without consent by the new importer legal action would be taken. I would be careful as to what is published.

Boy, I just love it when legal action is threatened to try and scare people into submission. Well, I will meet your threat and bump you 2 laywers. I keep a good list of laywers for just such issues.

So, if you will kindly provide the infomation of the "importer" who will be proceeding with legal action against anyone on this forum who shares information, I will be happy to have my lawyer contact them.

Sheeeesh.

One more thing. You need to learn your legal terminology. Copyrights protect items like written works, music, films, recording and SOFTWARE. Nobody here has talked about violating a software copyright. If one wants to protect HARDWARE they must file a patent. Have they patented this hardware or is there even a patent pending? I doubt it. If so, please share the US Patent number with us all. (Hint, I already searched the USPTO's patent DB and could not find any sort of patent filing on this item.)

So if anyone has information to share, please go ahead and do so. Don't let some "know-it-all" who doesn't ruin our forum.

Thanks for the information so far everyone!

Here is my take on this.

The owner of the units, whoever it might be following the liquidation of the original VoicePro manufacturer, apparently owns the documentation that was generated during the design and construction of those units. There is no obligation on the part of that owner to release or distribute the documents. Under most legal systems that party is entitled to provide other parties with the information under whatever terms both parties agree to, including keeping the documents confidential. Therefore, even though an importer may have the needed documentation, there is quite possibly a contract that prevents them from further distributing that information.

What has been legally determined is your right (under constant threat from manufacturers and industry organizations, and increasingly restricted in the U.S.) to disassemble and study what you already own (e.g., the VoicePro unit) and publish the results of your studies. This is essentially a right to reverse engineer.

There is no right, however, to any assistance in your efforts, nor any obligation (and, ideally but not actually, no restrictions) on your part to share any findings.

If you should start to reproduce the product, or some variation of some or all of it, then you may be exposed to possible patent violation (for hardware or software mechanisms used) or copyright violation (firmware code, board design, etc.). If you call your newly developed similar item a 'Voice Logic', 'VoicePro', or something close enough, then we're talking about possible trademark violation.

On a related aside, I recommend studying and understanding some of the legislation passed in recent years in the U.S. that threatens these rights to reverse engineer. The Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) is of particular interest here, as it restricts the right to reverse engineer any digital protection mechanisms. A prime effect of this (among many) is that even very weak encryption schemes are protected from being exposed to the public, while simultaneously being exploited by those who wish to leverage what they find for personal illicit gain.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have a feeling the "importer" is on this board and speaking among us as a Voice Logic "expert", lending advice, and programming knowledge / tips...but keeping quiet that he is the "importer" (or at a minimum in business with the importer)....probably not the poster of the message I'm replying to though....

I think the dealers are affraid of us finding out the solution....

jacktops (TechnicalUser)
>>You are wrong, Their are multipal risistors and the >>value changes by which version unit you may have.
>>
If you are so certain of this, exactly how do you know this information, and where did you get it from? In other words, are you one of the importers or dealers (or in business with) that have the information and merely want to charge everyone $40 - $60 for a 5cent resister?

>>This information is restricted by the new importer and >>protected by copywright laws. If this information or any >>propriatary information is released without consent by >>the new importer legal action would be taken. I would be >>careful as to what is published.
>>
[COLOR=#blue]YES, YES, YES the information IS RESTRICTED by the new importer, but not legally, merely to make more profits....[/color]
secondly,
I purchased one of these. Tell me exactly where in it's documentation that I am told that I can not do whatever I want with it, or that I can not modify / repair it?

The below press release is old (1999)... but Tony Franey's number is still the same. Maybe someone might want to give him a call and inquire about the agreements of the liquidation....

The below press release is quoted in it's entirety from Telephonyworld's site, link:

Voice Logic Brings Corporate Quality Telephone/Voice Mail Systems To Consumers and Home Offices
Voice Pro Line Provides Affordable, Professional Communication

RICHARDSON, TEXAS (October 21, 1999) Voice Logic, Inc., a leading provider of integrated telephone/voice mail products, announces the Voice Pro line of complete, affordable communication and voice mail systems for home and small offices.

Voice Pro is an all-in-one voice mail and phone system with sophisticated call handling and answering features at an affordable price. The systems are ideal for homes with two or more phone lines and multiple extensions, as well as for home-based businesses and small offices.

“The Voice Pro line provides the kind of power and flexibility that was previously available only in expensive, corporate systems,” said John Rounds, CEO of Voice Logic, Inc. “With a 24-hour automated attendant, a home office or small business can have the professional voice mail capabilities of larger competitors. It’s better than a full-time receptionist!”

Voice Pro systems are available in 2-line, 4 extension, and 4-line, 16-extension models. The 2 x 4 unit is ideal for the one- or two-person home office, while the 4 x 16 model will accommodate a larger enterprise. Both models feature an automated attendant; 3-way conferencing, fax switching, caller ID, call screening, pager notification, follow-me feature and much more. Voice Pro systems work with any corded or cordless phones.

Voice Pro systems are ‘plug-and-play’ for ease of installation and operation (although there is a toll-free customer support line - just in case!), and are self-contained, so they don’t rely on a computer which can crash and leave the telephone system inoperable.

According to DataQuest, a market research firm, there are 7,833,000 businesses in the United States that employ fewer than 10 people. Of these, only 9% are currently using a voice mail system. The Voice Pro line offers the remaining 91% of these companies an affordable, professional messaging system.

About Voice Logic, Inc.

Voice Logic, Inc., designs, manufactures and markets a series of telephone systems and integrated telephone/voice mail products for the consumer, small office/home office and medium-sized business markets. Based in Richardson, Texas, the company is privately held.

For more information, contact Steve Simon, S & S Public Relations at (847) 955-0700
(steve@sspr.com), or Tony Franey, Voice Logic, Inc. at 925/299-8551 (tonyatis@aol.com).

Dont forget to tell them you saw them at TelephonyWorld!

This message is quoted from Bob Yettah regarding the Fax Detection fix for the VP206. He is an authorized dealer, and admits to having the value and locations of the resistors (which IS KNOWN AND NOT DIFFERENT ALL ALL UNITS).[color]
A later message stated the "importer" did not want this information public, so I never received the info

Dom
You do not have to purchase a unit.
I already have a the value and location of the
resistors that must be changed on VP206's.

bob yettah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back