Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemails contain fast busy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.flanagan

Technical User
Apr 16, 2019
US
I have a customer with an IPO in essential edition. They have analog lines, embedded VM, and about 10 users. When they go to retrieve messages, about half the messages are fast busy signals. Callers claim that they hear the greeting and are prompted to leave a message but when it is retrieved, there's no voice half the time.

Any ideas?

Check system status and see if the voicemail is full or nearly full. It will do all kinds of funky stuff once the voicemail is full.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Also, double check that you have disconnect supervision. It may be people entering a mailbox and then hanging up but voicemail thinks the call is still going on and then gets that beeping tone from the line and records it like a message.

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

Finally circled back to this, evidently it is not that important to the customer. Disconnect supervision is enabled and their voicemail is almost completely empty, only a handful of messages. I'm going to try rebuilding the SD card to see if that does anything.

Does this customer of yours happen to have a fibre to analog POTS device? If so I have found in my experience that if the caller hangs up the fibre/POTS box immediately goes into a busy tone mode and the IPO will record that busy signal for 2 minutes until the call finally disconnects. To overcome this I had to enable Busy Tone Detection under System - Telephony - Tones and Music and also enable Unsupervised Analog Trunk Disconnect Handling under System - Telephony - Telephony.

Now that I have done that when the caller hangs up and the fibre/POTS box starts playing a busy signal the IPO will detect that and disconnect the call within 6 seconds.

Alright, so the site does have fiber to POTs and the busy disconnect supervision absolutely helped. It took it from several bad voicemails a day to a few per week. That being said, the customer still wants it addressed. The voicemail isn't over loaded or nearly full.

Initially I found that Spectrum(provider) seemed to disconnect the calls at 20 seconds if they hadn't been picked up and then the call would enter the IPO as a dead call and you would get the fast busy. So, to try to combat that I set the voicemail pickup time to 18 seconds and that really seemed to help.

The remaining calls that end up in VM as a fast busy seem to be legitimate calls. Their customers will follow up with an email stating that they left a voicemail and the caller id matches what their customers use. So, its not a spam call, its a real call that gets disconnected for some reason and the far end user things they are leaving a voicemail but its just into dead air I guess.

Any ideas?

It's been a long time since it was an issue, but used to be common that certain people's recorded greetings would cause disconnects. Work out if it's affecting particular mailboxes and if so, re-record their name and greeting prompts if not using the default ones.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

You need to check for clear disconnect from the carrier. Use a butt set and listen for the click when the far end hangs up. If you don't get the click you need to call the carrier and get it turned on. Most converted lines don't have it on by default and the carrier usually takes a lot of smacking on the forehead to find the setting... Cable carriers are the worst. They can barely provide internet let alone phone service.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back