Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail to Email SMTP settings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bprogrammer

Programmer
Aug 28, 2015
US
Is there a way to identify the proper SMTP server address from an email sent from the user that is set up as the outgoing mail account? For example voicemail@companyx.com.
I seem to have a problem getting IT people to give me the proper information to make voicemail to email work. They always seem to guess many times and every time is a system reboot.
I am hoping to find a way to identify from meta data or some method to discover the proper info rather than having to guess multiple times.
When you want to know what IP address your laptop is at you can type in a command prompt IPCONFIG and it will reveal your IP address and gateway etc.
Looking for information on how to reveal SMTP info.
Thanks.

Ultimately it's you customer's or their IT people's responsibility to get you valid SMTP information. If they can't or won't then there is nothing more you can do. I have run into this before and just walked away, eventually they usually come around with the information when the boss who's paying the bill wonders why his/her promised features are not working.

If I have an issue where IT is not providing info I need to make VM to EM work I use SMTP2Go relay service.
It's a web based SMTP relay service. Easy to setup and lets you configure any email address for the user, not restricted to the company domain.
There is a free version if you don't send that many and a subscription option depending on the usage.

every domain that has email setup should have an MX record and that should be available via DNS request.

you can do that via command line and nslookup and entering the domain.
Here how it looks for google.com

C:\Users\Joe>nslookup
Default Server: MainRouter
Address: 192.168.2.1

> set type=mx
> google.com
Server: MainRouter
Address: 192.168.2.1

Non-authoritative answer:
google.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = smtp.google.com

smtp.google.com internet address = 172.253.115.26
smtp.google.com internet address = 172.253.115.27