Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail to email. Google stopped working. What email service to use? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autox95

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2010
US
I have a customer that has 9.1 software and uses the voicemail to email religiously. In March Google stopped allowing less secure apps to log into the the Gmail. He has stopped getting his voicemail to email wave files. Which was not a big deal but he is a Christmas based business and things are getting ready to ramp up for him like crazy. Does anybody know a good email service to use on the voicemail to email that will just allow it to sign in with basic credentials and send out emails?

Michael A
Managing Officer
904 Comm Net LLC
904commnet.com

You're running Manager 9.1, which means you're a lucky man! Here's my working cheater:

1. Create a Gmail account for the IPO to use

2. Log into the mailbox and choose Settings (click on the three vertical dots by the photo)

3. Choose "Manage your Google Account" (option in center of screen)

4. Choose "Security" from the left pane

5. Scroll down and make sure that 2-Step Verification is turned on

6. Select "App passwords" (you will be challenged to log in again)

7. "Select the app and device you want to generate the app password for" has two pulldown menus.
Click on "Select app" and choose "Other (Custom name). Give this app a meaningful name like
"IP Office", then choose GENERATE.

8. Copy down the 12 character key. This will be the password for the newly created Gmail account.
NOTE: If you are using an existing *personal* Gmail account, this will be the alternate password to login.

9. Depending on how you chose 2-Step Verification, you will either receive a Security Alert via text
or email asking you to approve the security changes to your Gmail account.

10. In the SMTP tab of Manager, enter the following:
Server Address: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Email From Address: xxx@gmail.com (where xxx is the name of the Gmail account you created)
Check the STARTTLS box
Check Server Requires Authentication
User Name: xxx@gmail.com
Password: type in the 12 characters generated in Step #7 WITHOUT spaces

11. Reboot the IPO and test

Tim Alberstein

Hello Tim,

Thank you very much for this info. Just to be clear this will work after the March 2022 security updates that google made?

Michael A
Managing Officer
904 Comm Net LLC
904commnet.com

It sure will! I've been going through a bunch of these since March. BTW,there are ways to make it work with realeses earlier than 9.1, but I'll not go on about it here. I can get it to work with Office365 as well. Google is smart to give allowances for these types of devices. Imagine how many fax/servers and such were affected. Anyway, you can start with your existing Gmail account and tease out the steps that apply. You'll get it...I know you will!

Tim Alberstein

I tried these revised instructions but still can't get it to work with 8.1 with Gmail.

I just use my own Microsoft Exchange Server these days and a valid account on the Exchange server to authenticate. Never had an issue with it.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back