Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail Pro 4.1 (42) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantjb

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2006
GB
Hi Guys

I have an issue with above and it has stumped my vendor and I.

When a voicemail is left and played back parts of the message at random intervals are being cut out. Obviously my first train of thought was a hardware issue but I have pretty much ruled that out. Network is performing well after doing a health check to be on the safe side.

I have verified that the gaps arent just on play back via Phone manager as I copied a wav file from the server to my pc and played it using media player.

Any ideas short of moving up to 4.2? I was going to do this but the vendor isnt happy with it after testing we have uncovered a few bugs relating to user rights and hotdesking.

any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Grant

Grant Bradford

IT Infrastructure Analyst

HMLLP

What happens if you play the message back straight from the phone, without involving Phonemanager?

Is this happening on all phones with all messages?

try plugging the voicemail directly into the IPO

tecphonelady - same result on playing it straight from the phone. It seems to be random but has got progressively worse its either that or users have started noticing as fault rather than a one off.

gknight1 - Seems like a good suggestion to me, unfortunately my voice mail server runs on a VMWare environment so its not possible for me to plug directly into the IPO. I might be tempted to rig a physical machine up to it as a test.

Cheers for the replies so far!

Grant

Grant Bradford

HMLLP

grantjb

Try to convince the customer to add another network card in the system and add that to the virtual machine so it can be plugged in directly

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Thought of that as well just depends on if we want to sacrifice HA for the sake of voice mail may be best reverting to a physical server. Do you know of any issues with running voice mail on a virtual platform?

Cheers!

Grant

Grant Bradford

HMLLP

The only issue is that it is not supported because it depends on too many other thins

If setup right then it works well

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

>Do you know of any issues with running voice mail on a virtual platform

Looks like you may have found one...

I think you need to eliminate the Virtual machine especially as you or your BP may need to go to Avaya with this. I guess their first response will be to request an upgrade though..

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

we havent had any issues, but like Matt says, you cant go to Avaya with it running on a virtual server

tlpeter - I trust the guys that set it up and I convinced after looking at the set up that there are no inherent issues due to set-up. I have had it confirmed from AVAYA that it is tested but not supported currently.

MattKnight - the more I look at this the more I agree with your point I think I am best served moving this back to a physical server and making sure that it works that way.

Cheers for all your suggestions guys!

Grant Bradford

HMLLP

Maybe this from Knowledgebase will help:

Installation on Windows Server Operating Systems:
On many Windows server PC's, while the Windows Audio components are present by default they are not always enabled. If this is the case the playback of voice prompts may be 'choppy' and the TTS (if installed) will not work. Note however that enabling Windows Audio does not require the server PC to have a sound card installed.

1. Ensure that you have full administrator rights for the PC. This process will also require the PC to be restated.

2. In the Windows Control Panel select Sounds and Audio Devices.

3. If Windows Audio has not been enabled, select the Enable Windows Audio check-box.

ATM no I have been discussing this with my vendor and I plan to implement that tomorrow to see if it makes a difference

Grant Bradford

HMLLP

@grantjb and notsetinstone
the half duplex setting has solved the exact same problem for me a few days ago, or at least the customer has not called back yet and told me that it didn't work.
I will follow up in the morning with them and let you guys know.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back