Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail Lite on Version 5? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidshokk

Technical User
Jan 31, 2007
GB

Hi

Just got up to speed with the Version 5 release bulletin and notice voicemail lite is no longer supported with version 5?

What is in its place?

Surely they arent forcing people to pay for voicemail pro/Embedded Voicemail cards are they??

Stay on 4.2.20, otherwise sell/buy EVM or VMPro

Avaya_Red.gif

They should have dropped vm lite years ago and reduced the price of embedded vm
and yes they stopped with vmlite in 5.0

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

I can proudly state that we have never installed VMLite for a customer... Wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
Mike

I can one-up you there mforrence. Not only have I never installed VM Lite. I have never installed VMP in IP Office Mode. INTUITY ONLY!

Although I have instructed a customer once or twice how to change it themselves but told them that I would not support it once changed.

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M, TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
ACE Implement: IP Office

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

I don't understand this voicemail snobbery, yes I don't reallly like it either but If you have a nice friendly customer who just wants a relativly small simple system that is nice and cheap where is the harm in giving him free voicemail? You just say that as it's free we will not support any problems you have with it, you both walk away happy :) As for Intuity mode well in the UK a lot of people use IP Office mode as it has much faster navigation through your mailbox due to it's simpler menu's, if they want more options then change it, we let them decide after all they are paying for it and it's no harder to maintain really :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Mr Riddle

I agree - intuity has its uses, but for customers userd to Alchemy voicemail, IPO mode (either VMLite or Pro) makes an upgrade path much more palatable.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

It really boils down to a support issue. I can have 5 guys who are experts on how to navigate, train and support Intuity mode. Every call is handled the same way for IP Office, AUDIX, Merlin Messaging and even Partner Messaging. End user training is the same. Documentation is the same. Now, if I have to train those 5 guys on both Intuity and IP Office mode my support becomes more complex.

I have only had a handfull of customers ever ask about IP Office mode and all but once or twice I was able to show the benefit of not using it. I really think it must be a UK thing or maybe our sales guys have a unique way of explaining the advantages of Intuity mode.

Kyle Holladay

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Wasn't expecting to feel embarrased about using vmlite lol. It's used loads in uk as is usually all people want from their vm and is usually worth saving the money it costs for vm pro/licenses. I'm with you amriddle snobbery relating to software used is just... Weird.

Granted, most bigger installs always get pro but for small installs vmlite has always done the job

My time on here has shown me if nothing else that UK and US needs and preferences are very different. Just look at the VM server discussion the other day :) Also I think the UK on average has smaller businesses and therefor smaller budgets, this coupled with the fact we pay more for the equipment/licences in the first place means we and our customers have different opinions and priorities when it comes to what we buy/sell or recommend. And yes £500/$800 (or whatever it is now) for Embedded can easily kill a sale, and we have to take what we can get these days :)

But you won't need a Stnd to Pro licence for a IP500 anymore and thats more then an EMV?!

Avaya_Red.gif

Not if they have already bought the Licence to add an expansion module, that would be the case if they bought the licence solely to get the VMLite, you will also notice they increased the Price of VM Pro/Preferred by an amount not far off the upgrade licence though :)

I have no problem with voicemail lite even though I only have one customer using it and they keep shutting it off and call in to ask why it is not working LOL. I just don't like the embedded mail. IP Office or Intuity mode I have to say I like the intuity mode out of the same reasons Kyle has mentioned, a lot of Avaya products have the same interface and it is well know by lots of people and even some line providers have the same interface for their call answer systems. I have one or two customers that use IPO mode but once they worked with it they were OK and didn't ask too many questions any more and the programming is the same after that.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

@liquidshokk I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I really count myself lucky in not having had to ever deal with VM Lite. I am sure it has its place and I'm sure it worked for those who have used it but it really doesn't make the IP Office a very advanced product and we position on IP Office as an advanced communications system. The features of VMP contribute greatly to the overall benefit of IP Office and without that benefit the product is difficult to sell.

Kyle Holladay

For us, the lack of even basic auto attendant is what rules out VMLite. Almost all of our customers have had some other call processing system and to lose that night/overflow auto attend is a tough sell. The embedded sure helped sales. It wasn't too long ago when folks were turning their noses up at embedded. Fortunately, it's come a long way in the past 18 months...
Mike

Enbedded not having different group greetings according to status is a poor show I think, even lite had that :)

For me the best thing about VM Lite was an easy upgrade path to vmpro.

Embedded VM has come along way recently and we do install it quite alot now and it is a nice that you can have an auto attendant as well, although the worst thing for me is only having one greeting per mailbox

UK Voicemail lite - i have BT versatility and just bought a used IP403 DT 3.0 (40) with index 2030 and i have also just ordered an IVR system on my Exchange. The idea is that i will have no engaged issues on my 2x ISDN (4ch) during busy seasons (cue calls on the exchange) and we get free reporting on call volumes for a very small rent. we only have 4 users so no need for more than 4 ch - right ? The IP403 is now configured but i want Voicemail for (call attend out of hours message) and (4x users voicemail box). I dont have a CD, can i download VM lite ? are there any version issues for my DT403 ? ALSO whats this intuity mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back