Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice wiring on Bix block with alarm jack and dsl 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I usually only wire the patch panel for data because most of the voice component is done by a different contractor. However, this time, there's no second contractor.

Here's what I have to all interconnect :

RJ31X Alarm jack
DSL Filter (Dongle Type with 1 end female and 1 end male RJ11)
Nortel PBX

Here's what I plan on doing :

Now the feed from the telco goes into the first bix strip (it's a 5 pair cable with only 2 active pairs, the blue and orange). The alarm guy left us a wire and told us the blue pair is where the line comes in and the orange pair is to be connected to the rest of the telephone equipment fromt he RJ31X. I would like to know what is the "proper" way to wire the RJ31X jack back into the bix strip. Currently, I have the blue pair from the alarm block directly punched into the first bix strip from the telco feed (I also put the red protector on the bix pins). Now where do I punch the orange pair from the alarm jack? Do I punch it down on the 6th pair position of the first bix strip or do I install a second bix strip ? For now I'm thinking of punching into a second bix strip. The second pair from the telco has a DSL on it. The ISP supplied the dongle type DSL filter. I plan on installing a dual port surface mount RJ45 jack, then have the orange pair from the telco feed into the first port (with a jumper cable). Then punch a second jumper cable between the second port of the RJ45 jack into the same second bix strip (where the return of the RJ31X was punched). I would then install a small 2 way splitter into the first port of the RJ45 jack. One side of the splitter will have the DSL modem connected and the second side will be connected to the input of the DSL filter. The output of the DSL filter will then be connected to port 2 of the jack. The only problem I see is if the splitter falls out (they are usually loose) or if the DSL filter is removed, then this line will go dead. If the alarm is unplugged, the RJ31X will garantee that the line stays active through it's shorting pins. All the workstation telephone jacks are punched into a third/fourth bix strip.

After that, the telephone system was salvaged from another project by the customer which already has all it wires punched into it's own bix strips. Am I correct in just punching jumper wires from my second bix strip into the input lines of the PBX ? Then I would punch jumper wires from the bix strip from the outputs of the PBX into my third/fourth bix strip ? Is this all correct ? The way I see it, it should be ok but then again, this is my first voice installation. I understand how everything works (ie : the rj31x, dsl filter, pbx inputs and outputs) but I'm not sure on how to lay it out on the bix strips to respect the standards.

So basically I would be installing 4 bix strips. First one is for the Telco feed. Second one has the return of the RJ31X and the DSL filtered signal. Third and fourth are direct home runs to the workstation outlets. Do cross connects from the second strip into the input lines of the PBX. Do cross connects between the output of the PBX to the third and fourth bix for the workstations.

Thanks,
akwong

I know what you are trying to do but I have no idea what you are saying. It's a little like calling a doctor and telling him how you intend to take out your appendix.

I know you said that there is no contractor there to do this, I suggest that you find one to work with for your customers sake.

-Hal

The way I see it the DSL line should be terminated on a jack then the dongle installed. The output of the dongle should be wired to the bl/w of the alarm jack and the or/w of the alarm jack to the input of the phone switch.

The DSL and the Alarm is on 2 different lines. The Alarm is on the first voice line. The DSL is on the Fax line which is the second line. The customer is on a EXTREMELY tight budget. This customer cut so much on our original quote that I'm basically doing all this for free labor and he's only paying for the parts. I doubt there is a single contractor that would do this job for free ! I'm doing it for free in hopes that he will refer us to other customers for data solutions which is where we are much more familiar. I know my solution will work but I just want to make it look standard to any other installation. I don't want someone else coming in in the future and not understand what was done.

Telco Feed
|line1 line2|
| |
V V
***************** bix strip1
| |
to RJ31x<---| |------>to 2 port jack

from RJ31x->| |<------from 2 port jack
| |
***************** bix strip2

***************** bix strip3
***************** bix strip4

2 port jack wiring

from bix strip1
|
|
|
V
port1 of 2port jack port2 of 2 port jack--->to bix2
| |
| |
| |
V |
%%%%%%% 2way splitter |
| | |
| | |
| |-------------> dSL filter ----->---|
|
|
|->to DSL modem

Bix strip1 receives the Feed from Telco and sends the signals to the RJ31X and 2port Jack.
Bix strip2 receives the return signal from the RJ31x and the filtered DSL signal.
Bix strip3 and Bix strip4 are where the workstations cables are punched.

The 2 port jack will be used as follow :

On the port 1 where the signal comes from bix strip1 (raw DSL signal), I will put a 2-way telephone splitter. On one side of the 2-way splitter, I will connect the DSL modem.
On the second side of the 2-way splitter, I will put a DSL filter (dongle type). I will then connect the other side of the DSL filter into the port2 of the 2 port jack. The port2 of the jack is then punched into the bix strip2.

This way, when I connect the PBX, I would take the CO lines off bix strip2 and punch it into the input CO lines of the PBX. The output lines of the PBX would be punched into bix strip3 and bix strip4.

I'm basically asking if bix strip2 is necessary and will it add confusion.

I looked at another install done by a contractor at another of my customer and they did the following :

The contractor basically spliced-in the RJ31X and the DSL filter between the Telco feed and bix strip 1. He pulled off the Telco feed cable, used crimp-on beanies to connect to the RJ31X input, then punched back the return from the RJ31X onto bix strip1. He did the same for the dsl filter. Then he took the Co lines from bix strip1 and feed it into the PBX. Either this is a standard installation or he didn't feel like using a second bix strip.

Is it possible to attach a .jpg or something to a message ?

akwong, you could post your pictures on one of those "see my pictures" websites and then point to them in your message.

I work in the alarm industry, call the customers alarm company and have them meet you over there to hook up the RJ-31x properly. If it is not done the right way the alarm could possibly not communicate correctly and at best you would be liable for the customers stolen property, at worst you could be liable for someones life.
If the DSL and the alarm are on the same phone line it will require a DSL filter made for an alarm system.

Be careful about giving away too much in hopes you'll get more. Most of the time you never get back what you put into it. The customer always expects you to work cheap from then on. And if you get in to something beyond you expert knowlege you may acctually damage you rep. They may not tell others about your good work, but they will talk about what you screwed up. In the end you run the risk of undercutting yourself.

Ak, do what I do for cheapie clients.... take the line off of the demarc, terminate it into a surface RJ-11 Jack or DVO, put a splitter on it....take a filter and a small rj-11 cord and plug it in to a second RJ-11 Surface ,mount. The second port on the splitter goes to a ADSL modem, and the pair comming out of the second jack with the dsl filter is your clean pots to be termaited on a solid lite to the BIX Blocks.....

If you don't fully picture it, call me today at 514-282-8282, I was gonna ask you out to lunch anyways....

BTW, cost of parts, 4.50... this is great for cheap a** clients.....

Trevor

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

Hi Trevor,

That's what I was trying to explain and do. It's this part I wasn't sure :

... and the pair comming out of the second jack with the dsl filter is your clean pots to be terminated ON A SOLID LITE TO THE BIX BLOCKS... Which Bix block should i punch this into. Should i punch it to the original bix block where the line from the demarc was originally punched or to a totally new bix block. To avoid any confusion, I will punch it to the original bix block (where the demarc line was connected). That way, if anybody needs to access a CO line, they can take it directly from the first bix block and not have to look around. As for the RJ31X, the alarm clearly labelled everything. Like I said, I understand the whole concept but just have problems in putting it words. I think everyone is missing the point where I need help. It's not how/where to install the DSL filter or the RJ31X. It's more where to punch back the return of the RJ31X and the filtered dsl signal back on the bix blocks.

Lunch sounds great but it will have to wait. I'm pretty busy lately (which is good making cash). A lot of projects in the works and as I check my emails, many more to come.

As for getting references after the job is done. I know not to always expect it however I DO select my customers that I offer "rebate rates". Hey it's still a business and I need to make money ! My company is fairly small and 95% of my customers are references from other customers which are usually reference of other customers. We don't do any publicity (we don't even need to hand out business cards) and we usually have long term contracts with them afterwards so it has ALWAYS paid in the long run. We only had one customer call us after looking through the yellow pages after 3 years. We are lucky to have accessed a group of customers that love our services and refer us to whoever needs it without hesitation.

Thanks for your help guys.
akwong
**THREAD CLOSED**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back