Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice Network Monitoring Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird260

Technical User
Dec 1, 2004
CA
I have been given the task to find a Voice Network Performance/Health Monitoring Tool. We have 28 Meridian PBXs deployed through out our enterprise of various sizes (Option 11, 61, 51, 81). The tool we use today for 12 of them is the Traffic Reporting service from Avotus. We use this a a performance/health monitoring tool today but it is yesterday's information. What we are looking for is something that will give us a more "real time" view in order to let us proactively adapt to changing network volumes or issues. I'm not exactly sure what it is that I am looking for but managment is asking for somthing that will show real time utilization and possibly provide some graphs. I envision this tool to be like a data network sniffer. In addition we could use somthing that will generate alarms.

I know that OTM will do some of this and we are looking at it as a way to eliminate modems and manage the PBXs via the LAN. If we go with OTM is there any issues that I should be aware of?

Aside from OTM is there anything else that will do what I am looking for (if it could let us manage the PBX as well that would be usefull too)?

is this a voip application you are looking for?

We don't have VOIP at this point but will slowly begin migrating towards it so I guess it will have to be something VOIP ready as well.

After some further discussions with management, it sounds as if something like OTM will be sufficient.

Aside from OTM or the Avotus Intellegent Communications Manager suite, what else is out there to manage the PBX and provide traffic and alarms?

HI,

OTM is still the best solution to manage your M1.

There are additional solutions depending what information you are looking for. As ank example, you might want to look for a solution to manage in real-time ISDN PRI links in terms of usage, traffic and alarms.

Are you located in Canada or USA

OTM will also give you alarms, billing, graphs and much more. You can even get it so you can access the information from the WEB and not loaded on as many PC's. One thing to be careful about when hooking the switch into a VLAN is to make sure that no broadcast messages will be sent to the M1. This will cause the system to crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back