Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice mailboxes being locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer77

Technical User
Jul 10, 2012
US
I have kind of strange issue where the voice mailboxes of users are getting locked. It happens to about one user a day. Is there a way to tell when it was locked and why? I'm not sure if it's an employee screwing around or if there is something going on in the system.

Could be hackers, they try to get in and exploit the outbound transfer.

I agree with phoneguy. If this happened all of the sudden then you probably have hackers trying to redirect calls through the voicemail. I'd suggest everyone change to 8-digit passwords, especially the admin mailbox. There's little chance of guessing passwords that long.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Thanks for the input. Is it possible to access the voice mail from outside the building. The only way I can access it is from feature 983 from inside the building. The system is not connected to the network if that is even possible. It's a pretty old system.

What would be the benefit of hacking the system, other than getting someone's voice mails? I know with the IP Office that you can direct extensions to long distance calls or something to that effect. Is it something similar?

Also, is there a way I can find out where the calls are coming from and when?

Sorry for my ignorance but phone systems are definitely not my strong suit.

In Class Of Service you can allow a mailbox to have External Transfer.
This means when somebody gets the mailbox they can press 7 to be transferred to the cell phone.
The hacker will get into the mailbox because the user had a silly password like 1111, 1234 or their ext twice etc, they then go into the users settings (8 then 8 again) and change their cell # to one over sea's.

Also see FAQ's:

Depending on your voice mail model and software (you did not mention) you might be able to see which mailbox is the issue.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

This happened to a customer of mine last year. The IT person had a password of 1234 and over a weekend, they had a $500,000.00 phone bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back