Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice dialing with ISDN card over PBX phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyler

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2009
BA
Hi people,

I hope the forum I picked is right, and I'm sorry if the question is retarded, but I just couldn't find the direct answer to the question anywhere, so I hope someone can give me a hand with this.

I am just wondering - can I use PCI/USB ISDN card to make voice calls from the PC using the PBX digital phone line.

To elaborate, I have a PC and a PBX in the office, using digital business phone, and a regular analogue modem in the PC. Now, I know I can't use any analogue phone or typical modem to connect to the digital line, so I was wondering if I install an ISDN card, would that work?

And if not, what are my options? I know there are digital line converters, but I am not contemplating that untill I get your answer.

Thanks a million.

I know that this thread is very old, but I figure it doesn't hurt to respond.

The answer, like so many in this industry is "it depends." You haven't provided enough information to make any type of recommendation. Most PBXs use proprietary digital telephones, so it is probable that the ISDN card will not work. But, many PBXs can provided ISDN PRI or BRI interfaces that would allow you to connect an ISDN card to them.

Without knowing what kind of PBX it is that you have (Make and Model) and what type of digital phone it has connected (will indicate the type of line card in use for your system), it is impossible to know if a simple replacement can be performed. It would also be helpful to know the application, so that we can bound the problem. For instance if you are simply trying to allow your boss to place calls from his address book, a CTI card is probably out of the question. If you are trying to create a call center application, then a completely different set of hardware may be reasonable.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back