Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice clipping when using Speakerphone 18D

Status
Not open for further replies.

evB

Vendor
Mar 15, 2002
Hello Guys,
How can you help me? I have a client with a partner acs, bare bones- no voicemail, three lines and 6-18D phones. There is a constant problem with his voice clipping and drop outs when he uses his speakerphone. The far-end hears the drop-outs. I know the 18D speakerphone Mic is very sensitive to background noises and I have made sure it's quiet in this office. I have tried system resets, swapped phones.. but problem remains.. Any ideas, anyone?

thanks
EvB

About all you can do is double check the connections and make sure they are not causing it, other than that you may have to change ports.

Hi evB,
Make sure that the volume is not too high on the phone. It is normal for even moving paper to cut the mic to cut out the sound on the speaker. There is also a time delay before it switches modes. Your client has to relax and wait for the other party to finish talking before beginning a reply.
It takes practice for the user to get used to hands free somtimes. It's like using a walkie-talkie.
-Chris

also look tword the placement of the phone too close to the edge of the desk can cause problems , under a bookcase ect ect

can you duplicate the problem ?

my suggestion would be to find a time that he wont be there go into his office , duplicate the problem and start trying things from there. start by repostioning the phone.

good luck and if you figure it out let us know

I've had success "attenuating" the microphone by placing a piece of medical adhesive tape over it (very porous, not like Scotch or electrical tape). It tones down the input to lessen drop outs, but the mics are just way too sensitive.

I ran into this same problem and changed everything, the phones, the ACS the 308's and nothing worked. We even thought it was a problem with the ACS R5 and got a refurb R3, but the same problem. The customer also tried conference calls and basically had feedback all over the place.

I then got in touch with an Avaya Engineer and he resolved this by installing an attenuator on each of the telco lines. It seems the signal from the telco was way too high and caused the problems.

Joe Graves

joe

what type of attenuaters did you install?

The Avaya tech sent me one Avaya 90A Attenuator. He seemed to indicate these were pretty hard to come by.

Joe Graves

Remember....Partner 18 series phones are not full duplex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back