Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vodavi Starplus STSe - Voicemail not picking up after going to Comcast Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

awm40

Technical User
Sep 10, 2015
US
Thanks in advance for any help.

A couple weeks ago we changed phone vendors (Windstream to Comcast Business). We did not test voicemail when the installer was here, didn't think we would have to (but with Comcast you have to test EVERYTHING). Since then we have had no voicemail messages, and this is unusual. The PBX phones work, but when calling for an outside line our system was setup to go to voicemail after several rings. Tried to dial 440 from phone 100 and voicemail does not pick from there either. I checked the manuals and have no luck finding a solution. I recycled power to the PBX, but that didn't work. What am I missing.

PBX System:
Vodavi Starplus STSe
Model # 3501-00
Program system thru ext. 100 phone

Any help would be appreciated.

As much as we'd like to pin this on Comcast, it's not their fault. If calls ring in during the day, it means that Comcast's ring voltage is being recognized by PBX. The rest is internal. If 440 used to work and now it doesn't, then either the programming has changed or the voicemail is not working. Can you connect PC to voicemail via serial port and confirm that it's operating?

mforrence, Much thanks! I will hook up a PC and check it out.

Ok, no luck. Last Friday I hooked up a laptop to the Vodavi serial port 1. Using a USB to Serial adapter and Hyper Terminal with settings:

Baud Rate = 9600
 Parity = None
 Data Bits = 8
 Stop Bits = 1
 Flow Control = Xon/Xoff

I connected, but I could not read or text in the open box. It was just a blank box with a flashing curser. I have used HyperTerminal in the past on older servers and know that settings have to be set perfect to access the unit, so please let me know if there is another setting I missed.

Today I tryed to use the Flash Programming thru phone station 100. I tried some programming features from the manual, but the phone is silent, then starts beeping after 5 seconds. The phone display does not change to indicate that I am programming a function. Does flash programming have an ON/OFF feature? If so, can I find this on/off using flash on phone 100?

Thanks!

The serial cable needs to be "just right" - not a standard cable. I made one years ago and just never let it out of my sight. The manual shows pin-out. Also, my earlier post was intended to suggest that you connect serial to voicemail, not the KSU - as it was voicemail where we wanted proof of life.
When programming from X100, are you using the correct access sequence as first step? You must do this before any flash XX programming will be recognized. This sequence is also in the manual. Admin access can be enabled/disabled on a phone by phone basis from within Flash 50 programming. It's rare that someone disables X100 for programming. I would think that if system defaulted (you're a good candidate as the memory retention battery is many years old now), then all of the programming would be at default. If you're looking for quick resolution, now may be the time to call your friendly neighborhood Vodavi interconnect, as they can likely sort much of this out in a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back