Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vodavi DVX IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabups

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2016
US
Hello looking for a little help here. I recently took over the IT Duties at a school district that has a Vodavi phone system. From what I have been told it is a DVX IV running feature package 3.11. I know very little about the system and need to get into it to straighten out the voice mail and auto attendant settings. Does anyone know what software I need to access the switch and voice mail. I will attach some pictures at they will be able to tell you more than I can.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
20151215_172048_uikrei.jpg
20151215_172058_v0iqv7.jpg
20151215_172235_wmogr5.jpg

Regarding phone system, everything can be programmed from a telephone using "Flash" commands - usually from X100. You'll need the manual to get anywhere - google will help you find it for free. You can also program via serial/terminal, but no real advantage EXCEPT for backup/restore. There is likely a version of WinDBA for that system - which allowed programming via a GUI interface. For your situation, you're best to program via telephone.

Regarding voicemail, some aspects can be programmed via telephone (recording greetings, light mailbox administration), others via Vodavi "Admin" software with serial connection to VM box.

Regarding "straightening out..." - your issue may be in the phone system OR the voicemail - depending on the exact nature of the trouble.

Overall, it's really a fairly OK system. Lots of features and capability. The battery on CPU is likely at end of life, if it hasn't been changed yet. It would be a good move to perform a system backup via serial, as a power blip with a dead battery can make it so system won't boot successfully.
Good luck

mforrence,
Thank you for the quick reply. The manual was easy enough to find. I also downloaded VM Admin32 and get that installed and am now able to log into voicemail system. I don't know if this is the correct program and if it has all the functionality that comes with oem software. I was able to fix a couple of the voice mail extensions but one issue I am having now is that when auto attendant is enabled it will not ring into some extensions and goes right to voice mail and on another one it goes to voice mail but does not record the message. I was not sure where those settings are to be changed. Can they be done from the extension as well?
Does the VM Admin32 have the ability to back up and restore config or do I need to find a copy of WinDBA?
Thanks again for you time. Phone systems are definitely not my forte so any advice is appreciated.

Couple of responses:
- Admin32 is only for voicemail.
- Use Putty or similar for backup/restore of phone system. You're not a good candidate for WinDBA use
- Your remaining issues are likely settings of the voicemail boxes - you should find it via Admin32. These are actions that the user MAY have inadvertently set from within their mailbox - system offers them the capability. Box can be set to not ring the phone and voicemail box can be set to not collect a message...
Good luck

mforrence,
I am just about there. The only thing I cannot figure out is how to allow a phone to ring to an extension when a caller enters the extension from the auto attendant message. Since I am not an expert with this I am guessing that when auto attendant is active classroom extensions are configured not to ring from outside calls during the school day to prevent disturbance. If the caller goes to the operator and ask to be connected to the extension then the operator will put them though and the phone will ring in the room. This is how my extension is set up, but my extension is not a classroom anymore and need to be able to receive calls from the auto attendant. Is there a way to change this on the phone or in Admin32?
Thanks

I think you'll find it in Admin32 in Extensions area (from memory). You can specify that, when a caller dials an extension, how the call is processed. Call can ring the phone (what you want) or go directly to voicemail (what it likely is now). If live transfer works, change via Admin32 will be the solution.

Some day soon, do that backup with Putty or Hyperterminal (or Procomm Plus or any other terminal software). You'll really appreciate it after the next big power blip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back