Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxndr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2001
US
Is it possible to make VNC on be disabled by the administrator?

If you meant "Is it possible for an administrator to disable VNC", then yes - absolutely. If thats not what you meant..please give a little more info. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I want to know if I can setup VNC so that only the administrator can disable it, not a user.

there's a couple of ways that i can think of off the top of my head (not 100% sure about their success though) :). We used to use VNC here, but switched to Remote Administrator a couple of years ago. Anyway, here goes:

1) install VNC as a service and delete the run key from the registry that points to VNC. This will keep the service running, but stop the helper app in the systray.

2) Don't use the regular VNC client. Use Trident or Tightvnc. Those have settings to disable the app in the systray.

3) install the service, but set to manual. Then make a script, or manually start the service remotely on whatever PC you want to use it on. Locally, restrict access to all things VNC using NTFS permissions.

4) Try what was posted previously by SuperTanker in these forums. I have not tried this, but it looks like it would work too:

suggestion 1:
*****There are variations of the origional VNC you can download that will allow you to hide the icon.

With the origional program, No. You can however run a registry file containing the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\Default]
"AllowProperties"=dword:00000000
"AllowShutdown"=dword:00000000
"Password"=hex: (your passwrod in hex)

Now when you right click on WinVNC it will load without the options, preventing users from viewing teh options or closing the app. You can also set a "universal" password so you don't have to set it on each machine.

Once you set the password on the first machine you can then copy & paste it, or even export it.****

suggestion 2,:
****Install and then change the reg key as a dword of disabletrayicon set it to 1 in the
hive hkey_localmachine/software/orl/winvnc3****

That should take care of it, alxndr. Good luck. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Hi,

Check the Website, If you look in advanced options then you will find various registry entries that you can apply. This has been available for some time now.

Below is the part you need from the site:
Code:
Local per-user settings.  These override the local default user settings. If there is no current user, the username SYSTEM will be used. Location: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\<username> 

AllowProperties 
If this is set to zero, the user is not allowed to view the properties dialog and hence cannot change any settings, including the password.  Note that this stops all global per-user settings. A valid password must therefore be in force before using this setting, generally in the local default-user setting.  Local per-user setting.

Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back