Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC vs the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

langford

Technical User
Aug 25, 2001
GB
Hello,

Have been looking through a few of the threads relating to the best remote connection software out there. Currently I support ingresII databases via vnc (because its free) having run into problems with Terminal Services and the allocation of memory share and ingres.
Can anybody advise on anything that will spead up my connection as VNC is very slow and unfortunatley TS is not an option

There is always pcAnywhere, but if you like the price of VNC (and who wouldn't?), try TightVNC if you haven't already. It uses a better compression.

Terminal services isn't a remote access technology per se.

Yes, there is remote admin mode, but the real use for TS is application mode. The idea is to turn the server into a multiuser box. A lot of 3rd party software doesn't play by the rules, or requires a special installation to run under TS properly.

So a 3rd party remote access tool might well meet your needs better.

The VNC products and pcAnywhere are the only ones I've used. There must be a few more though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back