Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC to non routable computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yardyy

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to remote via vnc to a computer, that is at home, and has not control over port forwarding.

we have home workers who require support when at home, they do not know how to setup port forwarding, but can access the internet.

Is there anyway that i can get them to connect to a specific IP, then i somehow can control there desktop, while they watch what i do.

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

That bottom bit sounds good, but the users are behind home routers and NAT, they dont know and not capable of configuring port forwards.

I thought that it may have been possible with me to setup a server at my end, and let the home users connect with just the basic vnc viewer. But, it seems to me that they have to be running the server, and i connect with the client, for me to control their desktop, please correct me if i am wrong.

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

Running the viewer in listening mode on your machine allows that. They will be running the VNC server. They will connect to you and it will do a reverse connection so you will have control of their desktop. You don't have to open anything on their router/firewall.

Be aware, it is not secure.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Hi,

Many thanks for that, just tested it again, and it looks good, I need to look at ways now of making it more secure.

Thanks for your help

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

The SSH tunnle is easiest, but it is a pain to find a good free SSH server for Windows.
I remeber UltraVNC having secure plug in modules, but I haven't look into that in a while. You might give that a look.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back