Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC through a firewall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewie71

MIS
Sep 4, 2001
US
Just wondering if anyone is successfylly doing this.

I'm using the latest version of TightVNC and am trying to run in through an OpenBSD 3.2 firewall. I think I'm getting through as I get a login prompt, but after I put in the name/password an error box pops up saying the connection was lost. If anyone is successfully doing this I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

Matt

Check if your BSD firewall box is allowing tcp port 5900 (guess is default setting) to go thru.

cheers,

Yep...sorry I forgot to mention that. I'm using OpenBSD's pf firewall application and am using the rdr (redirection) feature to forward ports 5900 and 5800 into the WinXP workstation behind the firewall.

Matt

Matt, what are you using for the client, the VNC viewer or a web browser?

And in both cases you get a login screen? Or do you just get the login screen when you use the web client?

The VNC Client...and I think on the web client too but it's been a few days so I don't clearly recall. Definately the VNC Client though.

Chewie -

You might want to check your display drivers and make sure that they are installed correctly, and that you are using a supported configuration. I know it sounds silly, but we have had the same problem here, and it disappeared after reinstalling the display drivers.

D.SCOTT Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
-------------------------------------------------------
Latin: "Whatever said in Latin sounds dignified."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back