Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC, SSH, on windows 2000 server.... not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladyr

Programmer
Apr 22, 2001
US
I'm using WAC server on my windows 2000 server at home. I'm using PuTTY here at work to connect. This is the shortcut I have setup:

C:\SSH\putty.exe -L 5902:localhost:5950 username@mysshserver

It connects just fine. When I start up VNC Viewer and enter localhost:2, it says local loopbacks are disabled. I've added the registry key "AllowLoopback" as a REG_DWORD and set the value to 1 to the server, as well as my machine here at work. I've added it under current user as well as local machine. Any ideas what could be wrong?

FYI, the server running ssh server is also the one running VNC server. I am able to use VNC viewer to connect to the external IP address of the server, but would rather not do that since it isn't secure. Thanks for any help you can give!

Just out of curiosity I loaded up VNC server on my machine here at work and tried to do connect to it with the viewer (same machine). It worked but it just kept opening windows over and over again, so I guess that means local loopback IS in fact enabled correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back