Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC Service breakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbletech99

Programmer
Nov 22, 2005
GB
I run vnc on all windows as a service so I can remotely manage machines. I've got a really annoying problem where you can be using the vnc and then it freezes up so I reconnect. Most of the time this works. But sometimes it doesn't and then I can't get back in to the machine via vnc.

I reconnect, it prompts for the password, I enter it successfully and then instead of the the window with the remote desktop screen I get a Pop up box. The title is "VNC Viewer : Question" and the following error is contained with the Yes and No buttons to retry:
Code:
SelectObject to CompatibleDC : Invalid windows handle. (1400)
Do you wish to attempt to reconnect to <somemachinename>
Retrying doesn't work and I have also tried restarting the service which restarts but the display still doesn't recover. The only thing that works at this point is to reboot the machine. Not really an option on a server when hours of processing would be destroyed and cause disruption...

Does anybody know anything about this error or have any suggestions?

Two questions for you. One, are you running the most current version of VNC? Two, why dont you use remote desktop administration instead?

RoadKi11

windows 2000, no rdp.

not entirely, but I've had this issue on various 4.x versions.

I dont have any good ideas on what might be causing your issue. One thought would be a conflict with another remote controll product like PCA or such. I would upgrade to the newest version of VNC, sometimes upgrading and or reinstalling fixes things automagically. I would setup remote desktop admin on the 2k servers, takes about 30 seconds and i dont think you even have to reboot. been a while sinse ive worked on a 2k server so i could be wrong on that reboot.

RoadKi11

look through some of the therads on :
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back