Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC Router/Proxy/Redirector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelke

MIS
Apr 9, 2002
Here is what I want to do. Ignore any security issues at the firewall, I know the risks, this is currently for informational purposes, not looking to implement at this time.

I want to (Through the VNC Java/Web Client running on the servers) be able to remotely administer ALL instances of VNC through an INTRANET site on the outside of a firewall, all through 1 port (for arguments sake, lets say 5900).

From OUTSIDE COMPUTER 1, I would initiate the VNC connection via my web browser to my FIREWALL IP ADDRESS on port 5900. The NAT for port 5900 would point to INSIDE COMPUTER 1. When the connection has been accepted through whatever authentication I decide, INSIDE COMPUTER 1 will give me a list of RUNNING VNC SERVERS on the inside of my firewall. I choose INSIDE VNC SERVER 1 from the list, and INSIDE COMPUTER 1 redirects my VNC session to INSIDE VNC SERVER 1.

1. Is this currently possible with all of the VNC and other VNC add-ons out there?

2. If this is not currently possible, what would it take, doing the ENTIRE process through a JAVA client?

Thank you,
Tad Helke

If you would like to have a master page that points to multiple VNC boxes. I have performed a simaler task by changing the outside source port and point it to a unique inside VNC host.

Example on cisco box:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.3.5 5900 interface (firewall address) 5900

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.7.15 5900 interface (firewall address) 5901

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.25 5900 interface (firewall address) 5902

Create links in your web page to refrence the unique outside port.

If you can only open one port on the firewall you will need to run vnc from with-in vnc (VNC client session with-in a java web session) ugly but in a bind it will work.
The other option is to form a VPN tunnel to your firewall and become a member of the local network. This will get you past the single outside address host mapping issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back