Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNC on AIX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Good morning. I've just installed VNC on a p650 and all seems OK as far as starting it and getting a remote desktop from my PC. Apparently we need this to be able to run some software provided by our application provider which requires an X server running. I'm a little bit new to this game (VNC that is) - can anyone elaborate on what I can do with this software that, say, Exceed (which we have too) can't?

Hi Ken,

Not much, VNC is a very basic XTerm type app, no bells and whistles, just enough to be able to install software that requires a GUI ( Like oracle ).

I always make the following changes to the vncserver file

change

#$vncClasses = "/usr/local/vnc/classes";

to

$vncClasses = "/opt/freeware/share/vnc/classes";

and

# $cmd .= " -fp /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/";

to

$cmd .= " -fp /usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/fonts/,/usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/";

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.

Thanks, Mike, I'd noticed that the software seems to be installed under freeware, so I'll make the changes you suggest. Cheers.

I may be wrong but doesn't VNC only allow to act as a rmoste console, ie if the real console can't do X neither can VNC

VNC does not require an X based console, but it does require that X be installed.

I can't comment on Exceed (haven't used it), but what I use (am using right now) is a VMware based virtual machine running Linux. With this, I can ssh (with X-Forwarding enabled on server and client) into the AIX box and run any X app I like, no problem. For some apps, you may have to modify your fontserver settings to include the AIX box or install the needed fonts on the virtual machine.

VMware Workstation is only 200 USD now. They dropped the price 5 days after I bought my personal copy for 300. :-(

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

I don't use VNC, I just use Humming bird and X windows for my graphical installs. Works fine, I don't even need the desktop. I try only to install software that SAP and Oracle need for installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back